Episodic Errors

Molecules

14 hours ago, Molecules said:
Monkey see, monkey do. Sheldon see, monkey do. 

season 4 episode 20 The Herb Garden Germination, Amy tells Sheldon,: 'I recently trained a capuchin monkey to smoke cigarettes.' 

Season 4 episode 21, the next episode, The Agreement Dissection, Sheldon returns a drunken Amy to her apartment, and asks 'Is someone smoking?' The smoking capuchin monkey is in a straight line  direct view of Sheldon. 

Now, Sheldon has an eidetic memory. Even when Amy thought Sheldon did  not pay attention: he did. Remember the 'tweepadock' in the room? A 'tweepadock' never forgets, and neither does Sheldon. Sheldon should have made the connection. 

Sobering Fun Fact: A recent 2021 Oxford University study of 25,000, in the Guardian, found there is no safe level of alcohol consumption. Every exposure to any amount of alcohol permanently damages the entire brain.. Food for thought, or, more appropriately, food for thirst, food for abstinence. I won't drink to that. Cheers!

Sheldon had no reason to think Amy would have the smoking monkey in her apartment. It was a lab animal. One would, rightly, expect to find it in a lab. Not a researcher's apartment..

1 hour ago, Molecules said:

A Complementary Crossover Connection

As Sheldon, once again, got to ride his battle ostrich, Glenn, so to Penny got to ride Glenn, Bernadette's battle tested 'massive weaponry'. Both got to ride something big, but only one had feathers. 

Nice word play but there is absolutely no basis for your assertion that Penny 'rode' Glen. Tryiing a little too hard with this one...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HeWolf said:

Sheldon had no reason to think Amy would have the smoking monkey in her apartment. It was a lab animal. One would, rightly, expect to find it in a lab. Not a researcher's apartment..

Nice word play but there is absolutely no basis for your assertion that Penny 'rode' Glen. Tryiing a little too hard with this one...

Absolutely no evidence that Penny did anything with Glenn. In fact there is no suggestion she slept with anyone other than Zack in between Lenny break-up and reconciliation. I think after the Penny/Raj fiasco they started to tone her down a bit so she eventually gets back with Leonard.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/12/2021 at 2:40 PM, HeWolf said:

1) Your girlfriend does not smoke. recently your girlfriend informs you she just taught a capuchin monkey to smoke. You have an eidetic memory. You enter your girlfriend's apartment and state you smell the smoke. A moving , smoke puffing, monkey is directly in front of you at a short distance. Anyone under those circumstances would make the connection, much less a future Nobel Prize winner. Explosive. 

2) Penny had a  better chance of getting to ride her Glenn, than Sheldon getting to ride his Glenn, just listen to Leonard's vociferous  objection, and Bernadette's implied recommendation. As Bernadette says of Howard, a lot of what I write is intended to be humorous. Dynamite.

Fun Fact: Dynamite was originally  Nitroglycerin (unstable, but already existing) in diatomaceous earth (stabilizer containing diatoms (single cell algae)). A fuse ignites a blasting cap. The blasting cap explodes the Dynamite.  Diatomaceous earth is cat litter. Gives new meaning to kitty going boom-boom. 

Edited by Molecules
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

As Sheldon, once again, got to ride his battle ostrich, Glenn, so to Penny got to ride Glenn, Bernadette's battle tested 'massive weaponry'. Both got to ride something big, but only one had feathers. 

It's a comparison. They each 'got to'. They each had an opportunity. Sheldon got to ride, as much as, similarly, Penny got to ride. 

Did Sheldon actually ever get to ride Glenn the ostrich, again? Yes, he had the opportunity, but no, never, impossible, except perhaps virtually, but never in reality.

Similarly, did Penny ever get to ride Glenn?  Yes, she had the opportunity, but did she? She was more likely to, having shared a long ride with Glenn, than never riding together for a long time, or ever meeting, for even a moment . 

Who is your dream ideal? You've  got greater opportunity sharing a long car ride together, than never meeting the person for even a moment?  Get it; got it; good.

Edited by Molecules

Posted (edited)

In the  season  4 episode, where Sheldon explains the superiority of 73, Howard and Raj argue about 'Ratman and Mouseboy'. 

1) First, Howard states someone was bitten by a radioactive rat, and got a tetanus shot, and stiches. Wrong.
a) The tetanus bacteria, and/or spores are ubiquitous. Tetanus is caused by Clostridium tetani, a member of the nasty genus that also gives us C. botulinum (botulism), C. difficile (pseudomembranous colitis), C. Perfringens (gas gangrene). All are anaerobic bacteria (they only grow without oxygen). That is why deep puncture wounds are a risk. Tetanus bacteria produce more bacteria, and spores (bacteria's long lasting seeds awaiting the right conditions to germinate).Tetanus is also called 'lock jaw'. Tetanus will cause muscles to spasm, such as locking the jaw muscles tight, and opisthotonos (similar back muscle spasms that can cause the spine to snap). 

b)  If an animal bites, you either get  no tetanus shots, or 2 tetanus shots, spaced apart on site and time. If you had a tetanus vaccine, shot within 10 years of the last one, you are safe.   No vaccine is needed. If not sure, or more than 10 years, then 2 are needed. First, tetanus immunoglobin is injected. This gives immediate temporary protection. Later, in a different injection site and time, the vaccine is given, allowing for a new 10 years of protection. They  can not be given together, or in the same location, because they both will cancel each other out. The immunoglobin would bond to the vaccine, and negate each. 

c) Human bites are dirtier than most other common animal bites, but you never stitch a bite big enough to need sutures. It must be left open to drain. This also allows more oxygen to enter the wound killing potential Tetanus growth. Antibiotics are given, as well. I once saw a little kid with a dog bite that was allowed to close over. A haunting memory. 

Also Raj and Howard have a spider infested challenge. Raj quips that Howard would not shower at the gym to save the world. Yet in a previous episode, where Raj tells Howard of his dream of each buying mansions with a tunnel connecting Howard's front yard to Raj's back yard,, with profits from their equation app fortune. Howard quips he will no longer shower  at the gym  after they play handball. He will now shower at home. Both can not be true.  I guess Howard feared a possible hand ball game in the shower. Don't drop the soap. 

Edited by Molecules

Posted (edited)

Raj's Reason to Pee

Raj exhibits a classic 'fight or flight' adrenaline and noradrenaline responses The fight or flight response is hormonally hotwired. When felt threatened all animals have this survival mode automatically  kick in. These 2 hormones prep the body to stand and fight, or run away. Raj needs to, at least 'tinkle', and possibly boom-boom 'scare the s--t out of you'. Part of the response is to discharge any food being processed at the time: pee, poo, and /or toss your cookies. Blood flow is diverted from the rest of the body to digest food. In the fight, or flight response, the food in process is ejected to allow increased blood flow back to other parts of the body,  especially muscles. This is why you don't swim directly after a meal. The blood flow is diverted to digest, so your muscles are more likely to cramp, and you die. The muscles cramp, including the heart. Skeletal muscles cause painful cramps, but the heart just stops beating: a heart attack. Likewise, Raj is scared speechless. 

Edited by Molecules
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Extra, Extra, Read All About It
In the season 2 episode,  where Penny asks the gang to pick up 'a few comics for her 13 year old nephew's birthday'. Sheldon admonishes,  “I think you mean comic books,”  “Comics are feeble attempts at humor featuring talking babies and anthropomorphized pets found traditionally in the optimistically-named funny pages. (I thought comics were people like Jerry Steinfeld.) ” Yet in, a season 4 episode, where Raj is about to have Howard play with his big telescope, Sheldon asks Raj if he has enough 'comics'? Now, that's funny.

Edited by Molecules

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Molecules said:

Extra, Extra, Read All About It
In the season 2 episode,  where Penny asks the gang to pick up 'a few comics for her 13 year old nephew's birthday'. Sheldon admonishes,  “I think you mean comic books,”  “Comics are feeble attempts at humor featuring talking babies and anthropomorphized pets found traditionally in the optimistically-named funny pages. (I thought comics were people like Jerry Steinfeld.) ” Yet in, a season 4 episode, where Raj is about to have Howard play with his big telescope, Sheldon asks Raj if he has enough 'comics'? Now, that's funny.

Sheldon is correct that comics are the strips in the newspaper. The magazine type publications are comic books. It is true that people like Sienfeld used to be referred to as comics. That's a bit archaic but I do rememeber it. Then again, I'm almost 60 years old.

Your last point is just another example of the slipshod writing associated with TBBT.

Edited by HeWolf
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/27/2021 at 11:17 AM, HeWolf said:

Sheldon is correct that comics are the strips in the newspaper. The magazine type publications are comic books. It is true that people like Sienfeld used to be referred to as comics. That's a bit archaic but I do rememeber it. Then again, I'm almost 60 years old.

Your last point is just another example of the slipshod writing associated with TBBT.

I am confused. You are partly restating my recent entry. What is your point?

I disagree. The writing is not 'slipshod'. I believe this is the most complex, detail referenced program ever written. The complexities spawn the richly fertile  contradictions. Similarly, The Lord of The Rings, or The Harry Potter series, great detail creates treasured veins for mining,  resultant morsels on which to ruminate. 

Fun Fact: Both JRR Tolkien, and Michel de Montaigne (The French Essayist) were taught Latin at an early age. 

Fun Passage: One of my favorite Montaigne essays, taken from history, relates a besieged castle. The two warring parties eventually agreed to let all women and children leave the castle unharmed, and were permitted to carry all they could, as well. So they carried all the men out to safety. 

Edited by Molecules
  • Like 1

Oil and Water Don't Mix - Oil and Condoms Do 

Caveat: I may have written this before, or I may have just been censored before.

In the 4th season episode involving Leonard and perk seeking philanthropist ,  Mrs Leathem, Sheldon offers Leonard a pre 'date' swag bag, including baby oil and condoms. Granted , as Penny points out, Sheldon needs to read the book they gave him, to understand the phrase 'stiffing', still any basic chemistry course would point out that petroleum products degrade the chemical bonds in latex rubber. You are not safe , even if the condom does not break. Apparently  within 60 seconds, microscopic holes occur, like a subway broken turnstile. viruses, like HIV, and bigger things, like 'baby makers', will sweep through, without visual knowledge. Any petroleum product is dangerous, even pre-applied skin lotion, or edible butter fat products, like whipped cream. You wouldn't wear a rain coat that will not keep out the rain. It defeats the purpose. 

This is a major public disservice that perpetuates in reruns. A disclaimer would be prudent. How many people could have been infected, or pregnant, due to Sheldon, the genius, or Jim Parsons, the openly gay actor, not catching this threat. Shame on Shamy. 

A Poke at  a Poop in a Pig (A Completer)
In the season 4 episode where Penny's daddy, Wyatt, is driving Penny and Leonard back from a steak dinner, Wyatt was recounting Penny's past boyfriends. He tells of Donnie, 'who was gonna make millions turning farm waste into biofuel and selling it to the government. All Donnie did was mix pig poop with a little water and pump it into his mom's Camry.' Leonard should have retorted, 'So, Donnie tried to go Wee, Wee, Wee all the way home'.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Answer, My Friend, Is Blowing In  The  Wind
Fun Fact: In all  the episodes with Howard on the international space station the simplest item between life and death on the space station is a fan (air flow). Time for a cool change.  In the same way no gravity causes liquids to hang as suspended floating spheres, so too does expelled carbon dioxide. While sleeping weightless, the expelled gas remains in place, and will kill by robbing the body of oxygen. Fans push the carbon dioxide away, replacing with oxygen. Breath easy. Waiting to exhale.

Edited by Molecules
A new thought blew in.

I wanted to bring this up since I first saw the episode about Leonard wanting to take Penny to Switzerland and Sheldon threw a fit about it.

Since it's established that Sheldon has money saved up and that Penny would not really have much interest in the Large Hadron Collider. Why couldn't Sheldon pay for his own plane ticket and hotel room and he could visit CERN with Leonard. And Leonard and Penny could have the rest of the time for themselves.

2 hours ago, TLW said:

I wanted to bring this up since I first saw the episode about Leonard wanting to take Penny to Switzerland and Sheldon threw a fit about it.

Since it's established that Sheldon has money saved up and that Penny would not really have much interest in the Large Hadron Collider. Why couldn't Sheldon pay for his own plane ticket and hotel room and he could visit CERN with Leonard. And Leonard and Penny could have the rest of the time for themselves.

That made too much sense and the writers probably didn't think that was funny.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, TLW said:

Nice insight! Your observation blows a hole in that episode plot akin to a swiss cheese slice. It is strange that Sheldon would so freely loan money to Penny, yet be so obsessive-compulsive to never throw anything away. Plus, being such a germaphobe, yet retaining the nose wiped stuffed bear, and old tooth brushes, Sheldon could have at least used his old tooth brushes to help comb out the snot laden bear. Aaa-choo! 

Edited by Molecules
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Now You See It, and Now You See It
In the Dr Oliver Lorvis (Billy Bob Thornton), Urologist to the Stars episode, both Sheldon and Dr Lorvis make a slip of a blade, and slip of the tongue, concerning Gene Roddenberry. Although the procedure is called a vasectomy, you do not snip the vas deferens. For a successful vasectomy, you must sever the 2 vasa deferentia (or ductus deferentes), the plural forms. For those equivocal men, you can have a shut off valve installed for a change of mind. Talk about thinking with your little head and his two buddies. Truly taking matters into your own hands. No utility company can shut you down without your ultimate control.  Severing only one is like only shutting one French door: Exit is still free. As George Carlin said: an iffy birth control method at best...'Baby Maybe'. Hence, Gene Roddenberry could still boldly go. 

Edited by Molecules
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
Fair warning: This is some extremely Nerdy Stuff

Why Geno the Neutrino?

Professor Proton (Bob Newhart) had a puppet (Nee Muppet), Gino the Neutrino. Enrico Fermi postulated the neutrino. The neutrino was detected in Italy. In a form of radioactive emission, called beta emission, a near massless electron is  emitted, but more mass was lost during this decay. The neutrino was postulated. An early detection of this hypothesized particle only detected 1/3 the expected particles, by bombarding a chlorine based detection cleaning  fluid, which generated a detectable transformed  radioactive Argon. It was proposed that  neutrinos were not Catholic, because they had no mass. I mean, come on, how many Italians in Italy are not Catholic. A Russian, via Italy, proposed 2 other neutrinos.   Eventually, A Japanese team used purified water detective liquid, and discovered the other 2/3 neutrinos. There were a total of 3 shifting neutrinos, called flavors, but, no, not Chocolate, Strawberry and Vanilla.  This  was why initially only 1/3 the neutrinos were detected. The chloride based detection fluid could not detect the other 2 neutrinos, and was accurate all the time. The 3 neutrino flavors were constantly oscillating between each other on their journey. Per Einstein, this oscillation may only occur if neutrinos had mass. See, neutrinos are Catholic. The neutrinos also did not travel at the speed of light, because as a particle travels near the speed of light, it can not oscillate, because at the speed of light time does not pass, and matter change stops. The speed of the phasing of the 3 possible neutrinos was altered by a 4th proposed neutrino. 

Neutrinos are everywhere. The sun produces them. We produce them. They are constantly passing through our bodies, and Earth. In fact, the neutrino flavor oscillation was detected by a detector on one part of planet Earth collecting neutrinos simultaneously from neutrinos passing through the atmosphere, and through the planet, on the other side, and found variations in flavors. 

Currently this 4th neutrino is thought to be the first particle involved with dark matter. Dark matter makes up about 95% of matter. It is involved with gravity. Neutrinos have no charge. Similar to other particles, there was a time when their existence was unknown. For example there was a time where all atoms had only electrons and protons, and were indivisible. Atom is the Greek word for indivisible. 

Originally, protons were accelerated spewing forth neutrinos. So, the episodic error is that Professor Proton could never hate Geno the Neutrino, because a proton gave 'birth' to the first detectable neutrino, so how could Professor Proton hate his own child. I hope this gives someone a 'par-tickle'. 

For further confusion and clarity, consider viewing on the web Nova: Particles Unknown.
Edited by Molecules

• 2 weeks later...

Sheldon's Train Went Through Tunnels, But Sheldon's 'Train' Could Not Leave The Station

Sheldon, upon returning from his train escape, related taking Imodium to deliberately constipate himself. This is a wrong, and dangerous example. In recent years people use dangerous amounts of Imodium to try to get high. perhaps Sheldon was getting high on his train trip: Sheldon was tripping on his train--Woo Woo!

Fun Facts: Imodium is an anti-diarrheal. Imodium (aka 'Liquid Cork'), Narcan, Heroin, Fentanyl, and poppy seeds are all opium based chemicals. They each vary by minor chemical structural elements. Central nervous system pain killers, like Heroin and Fentanyl, have a side effect of possible constipation. Imodium's chemical structure normally has a minimal  pain killing effect, but has an exaggerated constipation effect. Narcan has no pain killing effect, but its structure binds better to  the body's cells, and displaces the pain killing opiates in a drug overdose. Poppy seeds commonly have no pain killing effect, but poppy seed food may cause you to test positive for opiate use, plus, if allergic to opiates, poppy seeds can put you in an anaphylactic shock reaction, as well. Any way you take it opiates can be bad news. 

One further major caveat. Addicts can 'relapse'. To any opiate addict, if you are detoxed, and relapse, save your life, and spare the ones who love you. If you relapse, NEVER go back to the same dose you took when you stopped using. Your body can not handle the same dose. It is likely how many relapsed addicts die. Take a tiny dose, if you must, your 'clean body has reset, and you will overdose if the same dose is taken, at your maximum final pre-detox level. A family friend died, likely in this manor. Someone else overdosed, was revived, escaped the hospital and overdosed again. He was again saved, and was planning another escape. Don't be a Sheldon! In this instance, Sheldon was literally full of S#!T. 

Did you hear about constipated Sheldon? He tried to budget, butt finally had to work it out using a pencil. 

Edited by Molecules
pushing drugs

NOW HEAR THIS
Funnest Fact: In a first season episode, Sheldon is found by Leonard, tidying up Penny's apartment. Leonard speaks loudly and at a higher vocal register, admonishing Sheldon. Sheldon cautions Leonard to lower his volume and sound, because women are attuned to awaken to a baby's cry. In a PBS show, on prehistoric women, an ancient skull was imaged in great boney detail. The boney cavity where the cochlea, the snail like spiral organ of sound reception, was located, and shows a female gender difference vs males. It is better constructed to pick up high pitched sounds, like a crying baby, so the female is more likely alerted to then pick up the baby.

Edited by Molecules
  • Like 1

DO YOU HEAR WHAT I HEAR? DO YOU SEE WHAT I SEE?
In the episode where Sheldon is retrieved from his run away train excursions, in the car scenes, with passenger Raj, and later, in the same episode, passenger Amy, and even later passenger Sheldon, they each seem at moments to be traveling faster than the drivers, Howard and Leonard, respectively. The passenger's windowed backgrounds, at times, appeared to roll past at a more accelerated pace than the driver's. Apparently, they not only play physicists, but are also capable of  bending the physical laws of space/time. Where is the late great Dr Stephen Hawking, when you need the man to further explain the universe? The cars remained in one piece. Plus, sound is not warped between the occupant's speech. The physicists warp space/time, but not the speed of sound, not even a doppler effect. Sheldon's Halloween doppler effect costume would simply appear as equidistant vertical stripes, like an old time prisoner outfit pattern cut at 90 degrees off. In their universe, sound is not malleable, but you can still fit a 12 foot pole in an 8 foot garage: the speed of sound is not effected, nor the speed of light. The cars don't even do a Candid Camera car split.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 10:14 AM, Molecules said:

DO YOU HEAR WHAT I HEAR? DO YOU SEE WHAT I SEE?
In the episode where Sheldon is retrieved from his run away train excursions, in the car scenes, with passenger Raj, and later, in the same episode, passenger Amy, and even later passenger Sheldon, they each seem at moments to be traveling faster than the drivers, Howard and Leonard, respectively. The passenger's windowed backgrounds, at times, appeared to roll past at a more accelerated pace than the driver's. Apparently, they not only play physicists, but are also capable of  bending the physical laws of space/time. Where is the late great Dr Stephen Hawking, when you need the man to further explain the universe? The cars remained in one piece. Plus, sound is not warped between the occupant's speech. The physicists warp space/time, but not the speed of sound, not even a doppler effect. Sheldon's Halloween doppler effect costume would simply appear as equidistant vertical stripes, like an old time prisoner outfit pattern cut at 90 degrees off. In their universe, sound is not malleable, but you can still fit a 12 foot pole in an 8 foot garage: the speed of sound is not effected, nor the speed of light. The cars don't even do a Candid Camera car split.

Have a question  In the season 7 episode 2 "The Deception Verification"  when Sheldon sees the chinese food containers in the trash why does he find that odd. Finished containers should go in the trash?

21 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

Have a question  In the season 7 episode 2 "The Deception Verification"  when Sheldon sees the chinese food containers in the trash why does he find that odd. Finished containers should go in the trash?

Yes, for most people.  But, he was talking about Penny. Penny wouldn't throw those containers in the trash, she would just leave them laying around as she doesn't clean.   But, in his mind, there was someone else there, whoever it was that put the containers in the trash.  We know it was Leonard, Sheldon didn't.  Amy made the connection too. When he first voiced his suspicions, Amy didn't believe it.  Then he explained about  the containers in the trash, and Amy said, "Poor Leonard."  

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Tensor said:

Yes, for most people.  But, he was talking about Penny. Penny wouldn't throw those containers in the trash, she would just leave them laying around as she doesn't clean.   But, in his mind, there was someone else there, whoever it was that put the containers in the trash.  We know it was Leonard, Sheldon didn't.  Amy made the connection too. When he first voiced his suspicions, Amy didn't believe it.  Then he explained about  the containers in the trash, and Amy said, "Poor Leonard."  

Should have guessed that. But also his thinking that Leonard should spend time with him instead of with Penny is odd too. Also his misguided belief that his friendship with Leonard trumps Leonard's love for Penny.

7 hours ago, Mario D. said:

Also his misguided belief that his friendship with Leonard trumps Leonard's love for Penny.

There too many instances of this thru out the series. Mary should have gotten that second opinion from another doctor.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mario D. said:

Should have guessed that. But also his thinking that Leonard should spend time with him instead of with Penny is odd too. Also his misguided belief that his friendship with Leonard trumps Leonard's love for Penny.

In Sheldon's world, for most of the series, Sheldon has emotional disconnections. Even physical demonstrations of affection are foreign to Sheldon. Quite the opposite, Sheldon sees emotional connections as odd. To understand Sheldon, you need to think like Sheldon. Yet, be careful, trespassing onto Sheldon's flatland could leave you dimensionally void. To Sheldon, emotions are not part of his equation. He can not miss what does not exist in his world. In Sheldon's world everyone else is misguided. What's love got to do, got to do, with it?

• Like 1