The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Molecules

Episodic Errors

Posted (edited)

Here's a nerdy medical observation. In the episode where Leonard blind double dated with Howard and Bernadette, and Joy (the Krav Maga woman), she has set herself up, in nearly every possible way for an extremely painful gout attack later that night. First, she came into the restaurant sweaty from spin class, thus dehydrated, as evident by her need to wipe her pits with her napkin. Dehydration can help promote gout. Second, she had the lobster, as she burped. By itself, lobster can cause a gout attack. Third, she had the asparagus, as evident by her proclamation of fair warning that her pee would 'stink up the place'. Asparagus is notorious for causing gout, by itself, as well. Fourth, she had an alcoholic beverage, as evident by her champagne glass half filled. This further dehydrating her, plus alcohol, likewise, can cause a gout attack, on its own. Ben Franklin wrote essays on how much he loved asparagus, and how painful his gout was. In his time, the correlation was not yet known. Though you'd think his genius would have made the connection. As Joy would say, "EEEE! Time's up." Fun fact: due to female architecture, women have an easier time of passing a kidney stone, than a man, due to the shorter excursion down the yellow brick road to meet the Wizz--ard.

Edited by Molecules
[sp]
  • Like 1

If Joy's body is working correctly and excreting uric acid as it should, what she ate or drank, or how dehydrated her body was, would not cause a gout attack.   If there is something wrong with her body chemistry, those things might cause an attack of gout.  See, I eat steak and lobster, drink wine, get a good sweat going working around the house.  I'm sixty four and never had an attack of gout.  My blood tests show a normal level  uric acid.  

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Tensor said:

If Joy's body is working correctly and excreting uric acid as it should, what she ate or drank, or how dehydrated her body was, would not cause a gout attack.   If there is something wrong with her body chemistry, those things might cause an attack of gout.  See, I eat steak and lobster, drink wine, get a good sweat going working around the house.  I'm sixty four and never had an attack of gout.  My blood tests show a normal level  uric acid.  

Joy was a unique piece of work. I'm betting that on Leonard's date he kept his eyes on her and his senses on full alert.

Posted (edited)

In the episode where the gang are playing the Mystic Warlords of Ka'a (Wild West Edition), Howard declares, unlike Sheldon, he would never wear a cowboy hat. Yet, Howard wore a 'Toy Story Woody' hat when traveling to Texas to retrieve Sheldon. Hat's off.…..to Howard. F=un Fact: I think only Raj never wore head gear that was not purely protective. Wait, I was wrong. Raj wore a Cat Woman cowl that made him 'feel empowered'. Even Penny wore  'soft kitty' ears. Figures both gals (utero-americans)  would get dressed up as pussies.

On 5/12/2020 at 11:26 PM, Tensor said:

I am not stating she would get gout. She just has the fixings. Even if you mix it, you do not necessarily need to drink the Kool Aide. Fun Fact: to be excessively nerdy, besides gout, there are pseudo-gout, and pseudo-pseudo gout.

Edited by Molecules
science
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Molecules said:

Fun Fact: to be excessively nerdy, besides gout, there are pseudo-gout, and pseudo-pseudo gout.

Too much info for this old sailer.

• Like 1

I am not stating she would get gout. She just has the fixings. Even if you mix it, you do not necessarily need to drink the Kool Aide. Fun Fact: to be excessively nerdy, besides gout, there are pseudo-gout, and pseudo-pseudo gout.

I was going by your comment here:

...she has set herself up, in nearly every possible way for an extremely painful gout attack later that night.

It appeared to me that is what you were saying.   Setting herself up, and later that night, appeared to me, as if you were anticipating and attack that night.  I was just point out, it wasn't likely.  

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, chucky said:

Too much info for this old sailer.

Dude, If you can't safely be excessively nerdy on a BBT fan forum, then where?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Molecules said:

Dude, if you want to be a nerd, more power to you. I'm not a nerd, just an old southern red-neck from Alabama. As I said, I'm not a nerd and have nothing against those that are nerds. I do enjoy watching my favorite TBBT nerds on TV.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2020 at 9:47 PM, Molecules said:

I never said you couldn't be excessively nerdy anywhere. The TBBT forum is a logical place to be nerdy. I just said it was too much info for me.

In the episode where Leonard is tasked with greasing the donation wheels of Mrs Letham, at the university's demand, Sheldon attempts to supply Leonard with a gigolo swag bag containing baby oil, and condoms. Now we may assume Sheldon knows 'diddly-squat' about coital matters, but he should know you can't mix oil and water. Any petroleum based product can not be used with latex rubber. It gets holes.  Now, Leonard is not likely to get the dowager in the family way, but any woman that states 'Yep, I'm that good' requires distancing, and barriers. It's a slippery slope. 

On 5/16/2020 at 3:39 AM, Stephen Hawking said:

So is copper.

Agreed. Even before the awareness of the germ theory, these metals were coveted. as metals used in food preparation and eating. They kept people healthier. Too bad it does not work on Corona.

1 hour ago, Molecules said:

In the episode where Leonard is tasked with greasing the donation wheels of Mrs Letham, at the university's demand, Sheldon attempts to supply Leonard with a gigolo swag bag containing baby oil, and condoms. Now we may assume Sheldon knows 'diddly-squat' about coital matters, but he should know you can't mix oil and water. Any petroleum based product can not be used with latex rubber. It gets holes.  Now, Leonard is not likely to get the dowager in the family way, but any woman that states 'Yep, I'm that good' requires distancing, and barriers. It's a slippery slope.

Maybe so, but it was funny.

Posted (edited)

Can I bring this up? In the episode where Howard had to change his wedding plans, and Leonard said the 4 letter word to Penny, while giving her another 4 letter word, Sheldon and Leonard were playing 3D Star Trek chess. Sheldon asks Leonard if he 'can' ask a question. Even though Sheldon has a bifurcated uvula, he can (is capable of) asking a question. Sheldon should have said 'may' (asking permission) he ask a question. Now, it could be argued that, in that scene, that Leonard remarked that Sheldon made a chess move possibly reflecting a distracted Sheldon. Perhaps, that also resulted in Sheldon making the grammatical error, but simple grammar is a lot more a pawn to distraction than a chess move. Although, perhaps the writers wanted to demonstrate Sheldon's profound depth of distraction by including a simple grammar error. I can be wrong, but, maybe, I may be wright.

Edited by Molecules
more stuffing

On 5/24/2020 at 10:06 PM, Molecules said:

Perhaps, that also resulted in Sheldon making the grammatical error, but simple grammar is a lot more a pawn to distraction than a chess move. Although, perhaps the writers wanted to demonstrate Sheldon's profound depth of distraction by including a simple grammar error. I can be wrong, but, maybe, I may be wright.

Maybe, maybe not. God only knows what the writers were thinking and they're not talking.

In the episode when Sheldon has a fit over a new table in the apartment, Leonard states, if Sheldon objected to the sofa, he would never have had his 'spot'. Yet, in the first meeting between Sheldon and Leonard, Sheldon's folding lawn chair was already in his claimed 2 dimensional 'spot'. Musical chairs., butt not a whoopee cushion in sight.

• Like 1

This is not an error, and perhaps this deserves its own topic: The Big Bang Theory and the IRS. I believe tax laws permit deductions for business related items, and services. Likewise, items can be rented for a fee. There are examples in TBBT. For example, Kaley Cuoco had her hemorrhoid commercial. She owns horses and a ranch. She likely rented her horse to production (she already had comfort with her own horse), and got to deduct all costs of maintaining the horse and ranch, in case her horse and riding skills were needed again. Likewise, Kaley's yoga classes. Likewise, Sheldon's trains, and, for that matter, Dr Melnick from '2 and a Half Men'. Someone probably wrote off their entire train collection. Likewise, Dr Lorvis, and his incredible menagerie of collectibles. Someone collected, rented, and wrote off massive business expenses.

• Confused 1

At the time, Kaley could not write off those expenses.  First off, she didn't have her ranch at the time (2012).   Besides, if she would have, it would have put her in the professional class, in jumping (you can be considered a professional just by running a ranch or stable.  Since they opened Big Bay City ranch, she no longer rides in the A/O class (Amateur/Owner class).  

While there is a lot you can deduct.  My daughter (who is a member of EQUITY and SAG, and I help her with taxes) deducts all her traveling expenses, any housing expenses over what she gets paid, makeup, any tickets she buys for theatre or movies, meals, etc, etc, etc.  Lorvis' collection (and Sheldon's trains), are more than likely part of the Warner Brothers property collection (as was the Batmobile that Leonard drove.)  A private collector cannot just write off, say a collection of trains, as a business expense, unless they can show they were specifically bought to be rented out on a continuing basis, as a business.

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Tensor said:

At the time, Kaley could not write off those expenses.  First off, she didn't have her ranch at the time (2012).   Besides, if she would have, it would have put her in the professional class, in jumping (you can be considered a professional just by running a ranch or stable.  Since they opened Big Bay City ranch, she no longer rides in the A/O class (Amateur/Owner class).  

While there is a lot you can deduct.  My daughter (who is a member of EQUITY and SAG, and I help her with taxes) deducts all her traveling expenses, any housing expenses over what she gets paid, makeup, any tickets she buys for theatre or movies, meals, etc, etc, etc.  Lorvis' collection (and Sheldon's trains), are more than likely part of the Warner Brothers property collection (as was the Batmobile that Leonard drove.)  A private collector cannot just write off, say a collection of trains, as a business expense, unless they can show they were specifically bought to be rented out on a continuing basis, as a business.

I respectfully disagree.

• Confused 2

21 hours ago, Molecules said:

I respectfully disagree.

That's fine, but I suggest you look at 26 US Code, (Internal Revenue Service code) section 183.  It requires profit for three years out of five (or five out of seven, depending on the activity), to be able to claim writes offs, of this nature.  And, only deductions up to the profit for that activity are allowed, which limits such deduction.  If deductions are made for the first two years of the activity, and no profit is made, then no profit is made for the third year, the IRS can recoup the amount of those deductions.     

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Tensor said:

That's fine, but I suggest you look at 26 US Code, (Internal Revenue Service code) section 183.  It requires profit for three years out of five (or five out of seven, depending on the activity), to be able to claim writes offs, of this nature.  And, only deductions up to the profit for that activity are allowed, which limits such deduction.  If deductions are made for the first two years of the activity, and no profit is made, then no profit is made for the third year, the IRS can recoup the amount of those deductions.     

Agreed. For example, Kaley had her commercial while riding a horse. I would think, she would need to keep up her riding ability, in case another scene was to suddenly occur, again. and any expenses to maintain that potential ability would be a write off. I was wrong and you are right the Lorvis collection appears just Warner Bros. props. Maybe Warner Bros. rents its collection for a profit. A  friend has a corporation that creates autographed authenticated memorabilia. He usually sells, but can rent out the items to places, like restaurants. As I understand, the tax code  is structured to encourage new business that may take 1-2years to show any profit. I had an office in my home, and I could have rented it to myself for a tax break, but I would have a later financial day of reckoning at retirement, so I chose not.

Edited by Molecules
more stuff

2 hours ago, Molecules said:

Agreed. For example, Kaley had her commercial while riding a horse. I would think, she would need to keep up her riding ability, in case another scene was to suddenly occur, again. and any expenses to maintain that potential ability would be a write off. I was wrong and you are right the Lorvis collection appears just Warner Bros. props. Maybe Warner Bros. rents its collection for a profit. A  friend has a corporation that creates autographed authenticated memorabilia. He usually sells, but can rent out the items to places, like restaurants. As I understand, the tax code  is structured to encourage new business that may take 1-2years to show any profit. I had an office in my home, and I could have rented it to myself for a tax break, but I would have a later financial day of reckoning at retirement, so I chose not.

In my opinion that commercial was a one and done. If there was a possibility of another commercial of any kind, they would have done the commercial. Riding skills, all she did was casually ride the horse. No great skill is needed for that. It's not like she was doing equestrian competition.