The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

1217 'The Conference Valuation' (March 7)

8 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

I have my doubts because the only thing I've heard is that he wants 15 kids in multiples of 3. That sounds more like someone who really isn't serious

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Totally agree!

5 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

When all the experiments are done do you think he will still be interested in the kids

Experiments with  children are never 'done' because there's always something new to try to see what they can do or how they'll react. It goes on until you're fifty five when it dawns on you that your kids are experimenting with you as you age.

Sheldon's interest hitherto has been how they'd become benign overlords. When he thought they'd be Martians his plans for them didn't involve their babyhood. My impression has always been that his intended involvement in his children would begin when they were walking, talking, dressing themselves, using cutlery, fully literate and toilet-trained. Amy's latest manipulation bridges the gap nicely.

• Like 1

Experiments with  children are never 'done' because there's always something new to try to see what they can do or how they'll react. It goes on until you're fifty five when it dawns on you that your kids are experimenting with you as you age.
Sheldon's interest hitherto has been how they'd become benign overlords. When he thought they'd be Martians his plans for them didn't involve their babyhood. My impression has always been that his intended involvement in his children would begin when they were walking, talking, dressing themselves, using cutlery, fully literate and toilet-trained. Amy's latest manipulation bridges the gap nicely.
We challenged our daughters a lot but I don't think we ever experimented on them

• Like 1

I think with Sheldon, his story has always been reluctance to embrace anything emotional but when finally led into it, he gradually accepts it and eventually embraces it. From his reluctance to hugging that Penny wore down, his fear of birds until convinced to hold a bird that became lovey dovey, from his disdain for the concept of the girlfriend boyfriend paradigm to finally accepting it with Amy but then slowly and at times unsuccessfully embracing it, then the intimate touching slowly leading to coitus which he found he enjoyed to finally accepting marriage as an option.

But all these things took a long time. This baby thing seems too rushed compared to all the other milestones and to me it seems heavily influenced by that one future bombshell from YS, which Holland referenced in that interview. I personally don’t think it has to be shoehorned into the Big Bang finale to justify a statement that a big chunk of BBT fans may not even be aware of because they steer clear of YS. Finishing with the Nobel nomination is enough closure to the Sheldon story. It doesn’t need the additional parenthood thing as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Leonard Cupid 1

11 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

We challenged our daughters a lot but I don't think we ever experimented on them

They were experimenting with the kids, not on them. It's not possible to avoid experimentation, one just doesn't call it that in the everyday world.

• Like 1

They were experimenting with the kids, not on them. It's not possible to avoid experimentation, one just doesn't call it that in the everyday world.
I know the difference but we never experimented with our daughters to determine who was smarter or more developed

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Once when my son was very young, not even crawling yet he was on a blanket on the floor on his belly.  I got up to go get a bottle and told my daughter (who was a toddler) to watch the baby while I walked into the next room.  She "helped" me by flipping him over onto his back so he could eat.  The arm she grabbed to flip him went limp.  I called my doctors office and they asked me to do an "experiment" on him.  Hold him up to the bathroom mirror, pin down the good arm and see if he would use the bad arm to "touch" the baby in the mirror.  He tried but couldn't and that's how they knew it was dislocated.  I went into the doctors office and they popped it back into place.  

Experiments are performed on babies all the time to check on their wellness and physical/mental growth.

You can call it what you want....they are still experiments.

• Like 3
  • Leonard Cupid 1

1 hour ago, legacy99 said:

I know the difference but we never experimented with our daughters to determine who was smarter or more developed

I'm sure you wouldn't. If there's a big difference in that sort of thing between twins or a younger one overtakes an older child, it manifests itself. That's when parents consult the doctor or teacher and professional pscychologists beome involved. It's another kettle of fish altogether.

I finally saw the episode. It was just awful.  The ILY’s between Leonard and Penny was the best part. Even as a Lenny fan that isn’t saying much.

The Bernadette Penny storyline was the worst of the two. Penny turning into Bernadette is not something I’m interested in. I get Penny is good at your job. I’m not sure any more advancement is going to make the show more enjoyable. At this point Bernadette is  unbearable to watch because she’s so unlikeable now.

The Howard Storyline was a little better. Not saying much though. Amy tricking Sheldon into wanting kids.  Kind of like her drugging Sheldon on the plane flight. Kind of confused when Bernie getting ready for trip and giving Howard parenting advice and the kids not there. Then the experimenting in the living room on the imaginary kids. Did the car seat have American Girl dolls in them. Then as my wife pointed out two guys giving babies baths was a bit creepy.

Finally another mommy issue bit with Leonard and Beverly? Why?Hopefully that’s it for Bev

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Chrismo said:

Penny turning into Bernadette is not something I’m interested in. I get Penny is good at your job. I’m not sure any more advancement is going to make the show more enjoyable. At this point Bernadette is  unbearable to watch because she’s so unlikeable now.

So true! What happened to the sweet, adorable Bernadette? She's turned into a mean, sadistic bitch.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 2

E4 finally deigned to show this ep to UK Freeview a month after everyone else.

I don't believe in Tyrant Penny, and I suspect the writers don't either. Yes we need more KC screentime but we also need a Lenny plot and/or a real Penny story, not this personality transplant. I always enjoyed Bernadette being ruthless, but  one's enough. And I thought it was OOC for B to care about the liveware when P kept them after midnight.

For the first time in it seems like several seasons, Amy was funny. Scheming to manipulate Sheldon with no lovey-dovey goo. It was a bit OOC for Raj to be smart enough to sus out her game, but never mind. A's look back at R as she followed S out of Howard's sitting room was just right to wrap that theme up, there was absolutely no need for the scene of A & S in bed (there never is) and the frogs joke was on a lower level.

Beverley's line "the experiment isn't over" was funny in itself, but doesn't make sense in the context of where they are now - Bev has no way of experimenting on L.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

E4 finally deigned to show this ep to UK Freeview a month after everyone else.

It was episode 17. The American company has only shown up to episode 18. That'll be why we had the break last week : I imagine there's an agreement that we don't overtake them even by a few hours, as would otherwise have happened if both sides of the pond got episode 19 next Thursday. All about money no doubt. They shifted the date for episode 23 to the same night as episode 24 ( calling it an 'hour-long' episode ) so the USA had to go without another episode this week so as to end on the scheduled date.

On 3/9/2019 at 10:33 AM, chucky said:

So true! What happened to the sweet, adorable Bernadette? She's turned into a mean, sadistic bitch.

There were signs of the assertive Bernie the day she first visited Caltech. She was very annoyed when they gave her the wrong yoghurt and she took it back straight away. The competitive one came out in Scavenger Hunt.

41 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

The competitive one came out in Scavenger Hunt.

That's the first time I saw it happen!

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 10:33 AM, chucky said:

I always enjoyed Bernadette's ultra-competitive and ruthless side. Loved her in the Scavenger Hunt, and her usual sarcasm. I also enjoy her amoral attitude to drug safety. And remember how she was when she suspected Ruchi of trying to supplant her during maternity leave? And all the stories the boss at the pharma company told about her behaviour? That's the Bernadette I like. I was afraid she was going soft when she sent Penny's team home just because it was after midnight in 1217.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/8/2019 at 7:41 PM, joyceraye said:

Any time you try something to see what works and what doesn't, it's an experiment as I see it.

On 3/8/2019 at 10:35 PM, Chrismo said:

Then as my wife pointed out two guys giving babies baths was a bit creepy.

I just don't get this. My husband gave the kids baths all the time. And now when my oldest daughters two sons are here her younger sister likes to do it. She sits on the floor and plays with the bath toys with them.

Edited by Die Zimtzicke
lousy typist
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Any time you try something to see what works and what doesn't, it's an experiment as I see it.

I just don't get this. My husband gave the kids baths all the time. And now when my oldest daughters two sons are here her younger sister likes to do it. She sits on the floor and plays with the bath toys with them.

I don't get it either. Dads and uncles like to bath babies because they can play submarines and battleships and pretend they're  Superman or Supergirl when they wrap them in the towel.

• Like 1