The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sherminator

What book are you reading right now?

I suppose most of us are some sort of nerdish people, which means we read more real books than the average joe.

so, for that reason this topic!

so tell us what book are you currently reading!

I'm reading Horus Rising, by Dan abnett. it's the first book in the surprisingly good scifi saga of horus heresy, set in warhammer 40K universe.

-this is the second time I read the book. It's just so good. unfortunately many books in the said saga are a bit poor. This is because the books are not all from same author.

I just finished "Jack of Shadows" by Roger Zelazny.Now I started "Dancing on the Head of a Pin" by

Thomas E. Sniegoski.On the tech side I am rereading a manual about Pneumatic control systems for

work.

Lois McMaster Bujold: "Cetaganda"

Daniel Goleman: "Social intelligence" (because I do not have any :D)

On a zombie kick of late (I blame Left4Dead 2!).

Just finishing up Day by Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile and have The Passage waiting.

On a zombie kick of late (I blame Left4Dead 2!).

Just finishing up Day by Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile and have The Passage waiting.

Just finished Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and have started the The Reality Dysfunction by peter F Hamilton. This is the first book in the Night's Dawn Trilogy.

I suppose most of us are some sort of nerdish people, which means we read more real books than the average joe.

so, for that reason this topic!

so tell us what book are you currently reading!

I'm reading Horus Rising, by Dan abnett. it's the first book in the surprisingly good scifi saga of horus heresy, set in warhammer 40K universe.

-this is the second time I read the book. It's just so good. unfortunately many books in the said saga are a bit poor. This is because the books are not all from same author.

Is that some sort of prequel to the Horus Heresy?

Is that some sort of prequel to the Horus Heresy?

WEll, in a manner of speaking. The heresy series has about dozen books out now. The first four, tell about the time before horus fell to the dark side. Time when he was still Emperors pet kid and totally lojal. So, they set the stage for the heresy, and explain why horus turned to darkness.

-to me, the first four books are the best in the saga. And totally worth reading for all 40K fans. After that, the books become a bit predictable bulk...

Fundamentals of Human Neuropsychology...all about the Brain

waiting for the last book of Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series to come out soon, although it's getting a bit laboured at this point. Once time travel came into it, I sorta switched off somewhat.

waiting for the last book of Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series to come out soon, although it's getting a bit laboured at this point. Once time travel came into it, I sorta switched off somewhat.

thomas covenant books were kinda cool. read few of them ages ago.

you must know about suppressed feelings and how they affect brain.

-Some say that if you suppress your feelings, they sorta stay in your brain and affect your behaviour. But others say that suppressed feelings do not stay anywhere, but rather disappear from mind as clounds disappear from sky.

-what do you recon?

-Some say that if you suppress your feelings, they sorta stay in your brain and affect your behaviour. But others say that suppressed feelings do not stay anywhere, but rather disappear from mind as clounds disappear from sky.

-what do you recon?

not a simple question to answer. It all depends on the person, the feelings (or memories), psychological trauma involved etc. Freud believed that wholly supressed feelings (guitt etc.) when totally supressed could manifest themselves in physical symptoms as a sort of escape route. They called it hysteria in those days. it has now been broken down into various disorders, somatoform and dissociative.

Im no expert but i tend to believe that if certain memories are constantly coming to mind and being pushed away then they are looking to be dealt with . If they are constantly being pushed away they will keep coming back If, on the other hand, you give in and let them have have their way by processing (thinking about) them, they eventually lose their negative power.

The book I mention is more about the physical aspects of the brain rather than thought processes, which would come under psychology.

thomas covenant books were kinda cool. read few of them ages ago.

-what do you recon?

Repression is a defense mechanism, and can have quite negative consequences, physical and/or psychological. Supressed feelings do not go anywhere, especially not the strong ones. They should be dealt with in one way or the other.

On topic - I'm really liking the Miles Vorkosigan series, right now reading Borders of Infinity.

Moonrise, by Ben Bova.

I liked his Mars, and Jupiter. They were adventurous, yet very hard science. Unfortunatelly, Moonrise is more murder and relations, than actual science. Still, I have half a book yet to go, so maybe they get more serious about the moonbase in the end...

Ya I think it does cuz the string theory wiki is starting to make way more sense. It seems that wiki travels as both a wave and a particle according to quantum wiki theory and as it turns out, when the full 26 dimensions are considered, wiki energy = the number of php functions on your website times the speed of the internet squared. hazah!

I've just finished reading Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring. I seriously need to find the other two books!! That was a brutal cliffhanger!!

I've just finished reading Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring. I seriously need to find the other two books!! That was a brutal cliffhanger!!

Do any of you recall how it was to read the lotr books for the very first time???

to me it was one of the greatest reading experiences. I was something like 14 or so at the time and the book was the best fantasy I've ever had.

-these days, I find the books a bit tedious, I'm sorry to say...

Do any of you recall how it was to read the lotr books for the very first time???

to me it was one of the greatest reading experiences. I was something like 14 or so at the time and the book was the best fantasy I've ever had.

-these days, I find the books a bit tedious, I'm sorry to say...

This is my first time reading the book. Also, I'm 14. :icon_lol:

Yes, this is definitely the best fantasy book I've ever read. No question. :D

I'm trying to read Richard Castle's Heat wave. But I'm in college so I'm reading school books instead. Oh joy!

Harry Potter och dödsrelikerna.

It's the swedish translation of the final harry Potter book. I'm learning swedish, you see!

the book feels better on this, the second read. A good ending to the saga, all in all. But i have to say that the author does not know how young men think (dream) about women. I mean she had harry dreaming of marrying Ginny! And boys do not dream of such. their dreams tend to be a bit more carnal in nature:icon_eek: