What happened to your VHS tapes???

We all had piles of them, I would bet!

-VHS tapes I mean.

So, what happened your collection of VHS tapes??? Did you throw them away, sell them, or keep them, when the DVD era started???

Also, if you still have your VHS tapes, do you ever watch them?

No, I think this is highly interesting topic!

Personally speaking, I have only few tapes left. Just some old live concert tapes, and some movies. And a few start trek tv series tapes.

-Most other tapes i just threw away to garbage.

-Only one VHS I still watch, is my T'pau live at hammersmith tape. it rocks!

-of course, I do have my home videos, a pile of them, and I still record my own videocamera tapings onto VHS.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I discovered that they give off EXCELLENT heat when burnt. I am in the process of replacing them with DVDs or downloads and when replaced, I will chuck them in the fire next winter. I will probably only have comedy shows and documentaries left after replacing the films.

• 2 months later...

Wow, there'll be a thread soon called "What happened to your DVDs?" :( LOL

Anyhow... Since my little brother is only 5 we don't yet trust him with DVDs as he tends to snap them (Oh, yes, he snapped one of mine.... GRRR!) so he has a television with a video player in his room as it's quite easy to operate and the videos are sturdy.

Now of course, we have some 18 rated videos that are kept in my room and sometimes I'll have a sudden urge to watch them so I go to watch them in his room when he's out or whatever.

He's got some Bob the Builder ones when I prefer to watch Freddy Kruger - Nightmare on Elm Street! :D

We'll give them to a charity shop when he stops breaking DVDs. :D

• 2 months later...

My daughter is 4 and she can do more damage to a DVD or CD disc any day compared to a VHS cassette. You don't have to worry about fingerprints on the VHS tapes, giving me peace of mind.

Our VCR is taking a backseat like our CD boom boxes that have a cassette player with them...they're getting dusty.

• 4 months later...

If you unravel a bit of the video tape, tie it off to the rear bumper of your car and drive real fast, you will be amazed at just how far that tape stretches for !!

Also, an actual video player makes for a great pinata... plastic cogs and brass screws for everyone !!

I have a "creative" associate who managed to feed an unused safety airbag from a car into the video slot of a VHS player and set it off.

Looked pretty damned funny when it went off. Unfortunately YouTube did not share our hilarity and removed the video of it ><

Thanks netmouse now I know what to do with the two VHS players I still have in my closet..why I still have them I don't know because I don't have any VHS tapes. Guess I am having some antiquated technology separation anxiety issues. To My credit I DVR, iPod and have BlueTooth! Just can't bring myself to buy the whole iPad, iPhone deal. I am waiting until the invention of the one gadget that does it all!

Thanks for the alternative to YT smeghead.. will have to see if he still has the footage now.

And yeah, Karma, it was surprisingly easy to detonate the air bag. A car battery and a couple of wires... well, yeah the rest is on the internet :) Getting the bag out of the steering wheel is the tricky part !

BTW for anyone else here who watches Tosh.0 he has a segment on one episode where they open a VHS player to recover all the golden treasures before you throw it out. Its cute.

Grrrrr... sorry guys, I can't get our footage up >< Oh well, will just have to video something else being blown to smithereens !! Will make sure to use my own camera this time.

In the meantime, I've attached a photo of some interesting stuff you can put in a microwave...

post-1895-134808097034_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

My sister unpacked all her crappy old Care Bears video tapes the other day.

I hate so much that 20 years on, I can still sing every word to the theme song.

"Wouldn't life be great, to be a Care Bear... la la la" pffffff... Professor Cold Heart needs to hurry up and perfect that bear melting ray gun of his !!

My sister looooooooved the band Hanson (remember those dweebs?) My brother and I used to make her cry by changing the lyrics to "Mmmmm, Bop" to "Mmmmmmm, CRAP" lolz... so sad, she even had the dj play it at her wedding ><

• 2 weeks later...