The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sherminator

The jewels of your DVD collection?

Hello again!

Tell us what are the Jewels of your DVD collection! What DVD's are you really proud of, and would never sell away?

The jewels of my collection:

1. Big Bang Theory, seasons 1 and 2

2. Allo allo, seasons 1-5

3. Men behaving badly, seasons 2-5

4. Complete set of Lotr extended editions (six dvd's of extras! and all movies have four different commentaries on them! nerdvana!!!)

5. mr bean collection

• Like 1

1."Lord of the Rings" box set.

2.The complete set of the classic spy series "The Avengers".

3."The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy".

4."Underworld" and "Underworld Evolution".

1. Primeval Boxsets

2. The Big Bang Theory Collection (1,2,3)

3. Lord of The Rings Boxset

4. Band of Brothers Boxset

5. Harry Potter Boxset

:)

Apologies for digging up such a fossil of a thread, but it's a subject that interests me.

I've got hundreds of DVDs & Blu-rays, so picking a few is difficult. That said, I collect them, so I would never sell any of them. This is no particular order...

Scrubs (entire series/DVD)

The Big Bang Theory (all available seasons/DVD)

Star Wars I-VI Box Set (Blu-ray)

Star Wars I-VI (DVD)

Star Wars IV, V & VI (completely unaltered/VHS)

The Clone Wars (all available seasons/Blu-ray)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (original BBC mini-series/DVD)

Northern Exposure (entire series/DVD)

Alien Box Set (Blu-ray)

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (Blu-ray)

Forbidden Planet (Blu-ray)

The 10th Kingdom (DVD)

Blade Runner 5-Disc Complete Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)

Seinfeld (entire series/DVD)

Entire Star Trek Original Motion Picture Box Set (Blu-ray)

Entire Star Trek TNG Motion Picture Box Set (Blu-ray)

Entire Star Trek Original Series Box Set (Blu-ray)

Marilyn Monroe 7-Film Collection (Blu-ray)

Entire Harry Potter 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)

The Shining (Blu-ray)

Pulp Fiction (Blu-ray)

The Ten Commandments (Blu-ray)

The Shawshank Redemption (Blu-ray)

The Jason Bourne Trilogy (Blu-ray)

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Box Set (DVD)

John Candy Comedy Classics Box Set (DVD)

The Honeymooners Complete 39 Original Episodes (DVD) 

The Lucy & Desi Collection (DVD)

KISSology I-III (DVD)

Austin Powers Complete Collection (Blu-ray)

Firefly (entire series/Blu-ray)

City of Lost Children (DVD)

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Metropolis - 2010 Restoration Bluray signed by Fernando Peña who was the file archivist guy who found the complete version in an unblabeled cannister at an archive-.

The Wall - 25th Anniversary Edition

Star Wars - Original Trilogy Originals + Remasters + Episodes I, II and III on double disk editions

Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Extended Double Disk Deluxe Edition boxset

Back to the Future - Complete Trilogy Deluxe Boxset

Eagle vs Shark - Basically because it is an Independent New Zealand film that I love and that is basically impossible to get on this part of the world

Indiana Jones - The 4 movies in double disk editions in nice golden boxes :D

Terminator 2 - Extended edition Deluxe

Blade Runner - Director's cut

The Big Bang Theory Season 1-5

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 1-7

Angel the Series Season 1-5

Desperate Housewives Season 1-8

Beverly Hills 90210 Season 1-4 (Season 5 will follow this week)

Bones Season 1-6

Some Lindsay Lohan movies: Freaky Friday, Girls Club, Herbie Full Loaded, Just My Luck

Other movies: Star Trek IV, VIII & IX, Shoppaholic, Harry Potter Part 3,4,5, Cruel Intentions, The Air I Breathe, Ocean´s Twelve

All seasons of TBBT

Boxed set extended version LOTR

Collectors editions:

Casablanca

Blazing Saddles

All seasons of TBBT

Boxed set extended version LOTR

Collectors editions:

Casablanca

Blazing Saddles

Casablanca is one of my favorite films of all-time, while Humphrey Bogart is one of, if not my absolute favorite actor ever. My favorite Bogey film is Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Blazing Saddles is also one the greatest comedies ever made, though I don't know if it could be gotten away with today (idiotic political correctness). There are very few comedies I would personally rank higher, but not many... It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and maybe one or two others (maybe not).

Casablanca is one of my favorite films of all-time, while Humphrey Bogart is one of, if not my absolute favorite actor ever. My favorite Bogey film is Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Blazing Saddles is also one the greatest comedies ever made, though I don't know if it could be gotten away with today (idiotic political correctness). There are very few comedies I would personally rank higher, but not many... It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and maybe one or two others (maybe not).

I noticed you had It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World listed.   I don't have it (I'm not a big movie collector), but I do love that movie.  I forgot to list all of the Monty Python movies as I have all of them.  

I noticed you had It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World listed.   I don't have it (I'm not a big movie collector), but I do love that movie.  I forgot to list all of the Monty Python movies as I have all of them.  

Damn, had I known you when I upgraded my DVD copy of Mad World to Blu-ray, I would have sent it to you.

I'm missing Meaning of Life. I purchased it several times, and kept getting flawed copies, so I gave up. When it comes to Blu-ray, I'll give it another go.

They are in order as follows:

1. Seasons 1-4 of The Big Bang Theory.

2. Star Trek Full Movie Set (Original 10)

3. Star Trek: Voyager DVD Set.

4. Star Wars Episodes 1-6.

5. The Big Bang Theory Season 5.

I have an obnoxious number of movies (1200ish atm).

Of them all, the "jewels" would be the hard ones to get (vs, say, "jewels" as in my fav movies).

Thursday (great movie, very True Romance-ish kinda movie - not as good, mind you but still a very enjoyable movie and if you liked TR then good chance you'll like Thursday). Hard to find. Finally got a hold of a copy and was quite happy.

Also, snagged a Seven Samurai when I could that didn't run me $80, that I was happy to get.

The complete collection of the X-Files! 

Also, bagged the complete collection of LEXX. Been wanting that one for awhile. Haven't watched it yet but looking forward to it.

I have an obnoxious number of movies (1200ish atm).

Of them all, the "jewels" would be the hard ones to get (vs, say, "jewels" as in my fav movies).

Thursday (great movie, very True Romance-ish kinda movie - not as good, mind you but still a very enjoyable movie and if you liked TR then good chance you'll like Thursday). Hard to find. Finally got a hold of a copy and was quite happy.

Also, snagged a Seven Samurai when I could that didn't run me $80, that I was happy to get.

The complete collection of the X-Files! 

Also, bagged the complete collection of LEXX. Been wanting that one for awhile. Haven't watched it yet but looking forward to it.

I completely agree with that statement. Still, I had to include my absolute favorites, along with some completed collections/box sets.

FYI, Seven Samurai was just on-sale at Amazon for $20 on Blu-ray.

If you think your collection is obnoxious, you should meet my Mother... When I visited her last year, she had well over 4,000 (probably closer to 5,000) in her collection.

My collection isn't really growing at this point because I've been busy replacing DVDs with Blu-rays. Many of my new purchases result in the loss of a DVD (which I give away). It's pretty much hit a wall at around 850 or so. There hasn't been a great number of new movies that really interest me lately, so I end up buying a lot of catalog titles. Most of which, I already have on DVD.

Edited by Anomaly

You REALLY might want to stop the bluray conversion.

Wait for when the UHDTV starts up. 

I only do the blurays for action/scifi. I stick with the cheaper DVD with the comedies/dramas. Horror kinda depends on the movie.

I cannot WAIT to see what a UHDTVx8 looks like (no idea why they're bothering with the x4 if the x8 is already developed and viable).

Ugh, another whole new format to by 5th Element in!

4,000 movies!? Jesus. That's a crazy number of movies. Hell, I went loopy when the local Blockbusters went bust and started liquidating and still only have the 1200-picked up a fair number of turds in those sales (understand that some things, like the complete Xfiles collection is listed as one in the list of 1200).

Iron Maiden's "Flight 666" documentary

Persona 4 The Animation Collection #1

Astroboy boxset (1980)

Big Bang Theory 1-5

Mr Bean remastered boxset

Edited by netmouse

You REALLY might want to stop the bluray conversion.

Wait for when the UHDTV starts up. 

I only do the blurays for action/scifi. I stick with the cheaper DVD with the comedies/dramas. Horror kinda depends on the movie.

I cannot WAIT to see what a UHDTVx8 looks like (no idea why they're bothering with the x4 if the x8 is already developed and viable).

Ugh, another whole new format to by 5th Element in!

4,000 movies!? Jesus. That's a crazy number of movies. Hell, I went loopy when the local Blockbusters went bust and started liquidating and still only have the 1200-picked up a fair number of turds in those sales (understand that some things, like the complete Xfiles collection is listed as one in the list of 1200).

No, there's no reason to stop the Blu-ray conversion. Technology will continue to advance. And with each advancement, the next will come even quicker. VHS was king for a couple of decades and DVD was being phased out within a decade. BD has been around since (I believe) 2006. The next format will probably be outdated within 3-4 years of it's release. One might just as well start sitting them all out. I want the best I can get, and right now, that's Blu-ray.

Also, shopping through Blu-ray.com, which ultimately links to Amazon, one can get some really, really good prices on BDs, even compared to their DVD counterparts. Case in point... I recently purchased the BD box set of the entire original Star Trek series for $108, while the DVD set was $140. There is really no reason to buy DVDs at this point. 

My jewels:

-LOTR Extended Edition Blu Ray disc set

-The West Wing Complete series

-The Big Bang Theory Seasons 1 to 5

- All the CSI ( Las Vegas ) special editions : Grave Danger metal case/ Bloodbox 3 cd set metal case / A bullit runs through it with bullit hole in the case / Built To Kill - 3D hologram metalcase

- Various Journey ( music ) DVD's as they are hard to come by. Still looking for the DVD version of "Frontiers & Beyond" from 1983 Still have the VHS tape! So far I only found bootleg DVD's & not paying that money as I'm not sure about the quality..

- Various Alfred Hitchcock movies

- Various John Farnham ( music ) DVD's as they as aslo hard to come by, most are import.

- Judge John Deed Complete series

- Inspector George Gently Seasons 1 to 4

- The Professionals Seasons 1 + 2

- The Dark Crystal ( 1st DVD I bought in my life & price was sky high then, but so worth it! )

- Dances With Wolves 4 hour director's cut LOVE this movies & saw it in cinema bunch of times 

Might add later :-)

Edited by Jacks

Hello again!

Tell us what are the Jewels of your DVD collection! What DVD's are you really proud of, and would never sell away?

The jewels of my collection:

1. Big Bang Theory, seasons 1 and 2

2. Allo allo, seasons 1-5

3. Men behaving badly, seasons 2-5

4. Complete set of Lotr extended editions (six dvd's of extras! and all movies have four different commentaries on them! nerdvana!!!)

5. mr bean collection

Did you not like Men Behaving Badly before Tony arrives?

TBBT 1-5

Kingdom 1-3

Absolute Power 1-2

Sherlock 1-2

HP (Special LImited Edition of some sort- with many many discs)

Buster Keaton's The General (I have about 9 different versions (soundtracks), two Blu-Ray versions, actually have just about every movie Buster made or was involved in.

Harry Langdon, think I have everything of his except the Educationals he did in the 40's- Educational Movies were a "skid row" film studio, lots of former "silent" film stars made movies with them including Buster (I have his).

Time Tunnel (Season 1 only atm)

so many

Metropolis - 2010 Restoration Bluray signed by Fernando Peña who was the file archivist guy who found the complete version in an unblabeled cannister at an archive-.

The Wall - 25th Anniversary Edition

Star Wars - Original Trilogy Originals + Remasters + Episodes I, II and III on double disk editions

Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Extended Double Disk Deluxe Edition boxset

Back to the Future - Complete Trilogy Deluxe Boxset

Eagle vs Shark - Basically because it is an Independent New Zealand film that I love and that is basically impossible to get on this part of the world

Indiana Jones - The 4 movies in double disk editions in nice golden boxes :D

Terminator 2 - Extended edition Deluxe

Blade Runner - Director's cut

That Metropolis is making me very jealous.

That Metropolis is making me very jealous.

It's my precious! so stay away from it! (I turn into Gollum when it comes to it LOL)

I still have that Shark vs Eagle on the coffee table in the unwatched pile...

watch.it.now!

I love that movie so much

Have to add the following Blu rays to my 1st post

I have recently bought:

Avatar - Extended Collector's edition 3 disc version in a beautiful package ( I saw the movie for the first time some weeks ago when it was on tv & was blown away...) Not a big James Cameron fan tbh but had to buy this version because of the images & all

Apollo 13 - 100th Anniversary Limited Edition Steel Case with lots of bonus features

Still awaiting my Season 2 pre ordered Game of Thrones Blu ray box