The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Flare

How can Penny afford her apartment?

Is this kind of stuff really that important to the show?  People have asked this question over and over and over and it really just doesn't matter...

• Like 1

Is this kind of stuff really that important to the show?  People have asked this question over and over and over and it really just doesn't matter...

But its a forum. Are they not designed for these type of questions and discussion? Cute cat btw. 

Edited by SheldonCooperFan

I think Penny's 1 bedroom apt in Pasadena in a average apt building would be about $1000 a month. (if it was a nice place they would have fixed the elevator) Its stated that Penny isn't a great waitress ,but does bartend on occasion. I think she would make about $30,000 a year. The guys frequently buy her take out and she gets to take food home on occasion from the Cheesecake Factory - Heavily reducing her food bill. Car is probably paid for and Leonard recently bought her a car.The 12k a year rent to 30k ratio is almost x3 her income. It is insinuated that the head over heals - starry eyed Leonard has helped her out with money in the past. Factor in an occasional commercial or residual check from the movie Ape-Ist , it would appear that Penny could pay the rent. However her love of shoes and fashion has suggested that she is just scraping by. The answer is simple Penny quit buying expensive shoes !

• Like 1

I'm just saying that you can go round and round on questions like this and try to fanwank them so that they make sense, but the truth is they are simply constructs to make the premise work.

The apartments are what they are in order to set up how the stories and interactions take place. I don't think the writers care about any hard realities about the cost of apartments in Pasadena.

The idea is simply that a struggling actress lives across the hall from two nerdy physicists who share an apartment. Even the perpetually broken elevator isn't realistic, but it serves the purpose of how the dialog plays out in those scenes, etc.

Everyone is certainly free to go round and round these points until they turn into butter, but there's really never going to be a true answer to something that the writers came up with without consideration of reality.

Penny can afford her apartment (barely) because they need her to live there. And they guys share an apartment because they need them to live there as roommates in order to set up the premise. The writers make references now and then about the rent, etc., but again, it's never going to be about reality.

• Like 1

Well I always assumed Penny lived pay check to pay check and didn't have much in the way of savings. Whereas I'm sure Sheldon and Leonard are much more sensible about their priorities and savings.

If Penny was smart with her money then she probably couldn't afford the apartment but I guess she's decided putting the majority of her $$ into renting an apartment is important to her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's a lot of apartment to be putting most of your money into.  she would be putting almost all of her money into it.  that's a really nice apartment.  in a big city like pasedena.  

we know they don't care and its just supposed to be about premise and everything but in some peoples opinion the premise is under question just a little bit.  again its a really nice apt. with shiny wooden floor and glass doors and the view over looks downtown Pasadena.  she would be a little too hard pressed to pay that rent on her own I don't care how much leonard helps her out.  now seeing as she is mega hot and leonard looks sort of too nerdy to be with her then I guess maybe I could see him really bankrolling her if that's the premise.  lol.   

we know that its supposed to be about the show in general but its just weird.  she would have to be working at a place that's serving like sixty dollar steaks to be able to afford that apt.  I disagree when people say its never going to be about reality.  bang is set in reality.  its not sci fi or fake.  its supposed to be believable.  its just weird that she can afford the same thing that they can afford and they aren't out buying makeup and clothes all the time. 

i'm judging a lot of things by the fact that I've been to the cheese cake factory and I've been to other places and you can make a lot of money in the cheesecake factory but I don't know if 30k a year would get it in Pasadena with an apartment that nice.  and she has it decently furnished.  and the way they make that particular cheesecake factory look on bang it looks like a diner.  it just looks weird that aspect of it. 

I was watching tonight and penny and leonard just got engaged.  lol.  they decided to take it there I guess.  lol. 

of all the comments I've seen on here I haven't been convinced.

of all the comments I've seen on here I haven't been convinced.

Well, you haven't presented anything quantitative to back up your assertions. Feel free to show how the numbers in either post 20 or post 44 are wrong. Until you do that, you really haven't done anything to prove your point, except your own disbelief.

And again, even if anyone offers some kind of "proof" of whatever, what the hell difference does it make in the long run?

• Like 2

It doesn't make a difference. But, then again, it's not hurting anyone.

I find it amusing and amazing  that this thread as gone on for 59 other posts. in many previous posts we have mathematically concluded it is possible for Penny to make her own rent. So today i went out to the apartment guide on line  and searched apartments near Pasadena Cal Tech.The closer to the school , the more expensive the apartment. Less then a mile from the school you can pay $1500- $2000, within 3 -5 miles to the school you can a get a deal from $975 ,to $1000 ,$1100 or $1200 and up to $1500. Ill even thow in that for $1200 a month you can live in a pretty decent apartment  http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/California/Pasadena/Wright-Avenue-Apartments/174258/ here is one not bad 625 sq feet 1 bedroom  for between $1100 and $1200  with Laminated Wood Flooring  Fully Renovated Kitchen and Laundry Facility  cable and ceiling fans !

so lets say 1200 a month x 12 months =14,400 a year , and we can pretty much establish Penny makes about 32k a year (see she can already aford it but lets dive in more ) Maybe a little more with her bartending/waitressing, a residual check for her commercials (not much - but helps) and ,money from Ape-ist 1 and 2 , Now its said to afford you apt your supposed to make x3 you rent ( apartment renters use this as a guideling but not written in stone ),Penny brings home aprox $2667 a month and her rent is 1200 a month . So she almost makes 2.5 times her rent in a month. so she is close . IF the rent were cheaper lets say 1100 or 1000 a month - the number would even be closer. 

she has a big saving in food ,The gang pays for her meals most of the time , and she brings home food from work , she cooks sometimes , That could save her at least $400 a month in food cost. she uses the guys wifi saving more money and like above the cable could be included in the rent.

it is established that Leonard has helped her out before with money.

the BIG X factor Lenord who as an Experimental Teaching Physicist in CA would make no less then 60k a year (and that's on the low end) - giving him plenty of cash to just give Penny  now and then without hurting his lifestyle what so ever. He could easily throw her up to $500 a month. and we all know Leonard is going to give Penny whatever she needs to stay across the hall.

And that folks proves Penny can afford her apartment.

Edited by AceMackenzie9

I find it amusing and amazing  that this thread as gone on for 59 other posts. in many previous posts we have mathematically concluded it is possible for Penny to make her own rent. So today i went out to the apartment guide on line  and searched apartments near Pasadena Cal Tech.The closer to the school , the more expensive the apartment. Less then a mile from the school you can pay $1500- $2000, within 3 -5 miles to the school you can a get a deal from $975 ,to $1000 ,$1100 or $1200 and up to $1500. Ill even thow in that for $1200 a month you can live in a pretty decent apartment  http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/California/Pasadena/Wright-Avenue-Apartments/174258/ here is one not bad 625 sq feet 1 bedroom  for between $1100 and $1200  with Laminated Wood Flooring  Fully Renovated Kitchen and Laundry Facility  cable and ceiling fans !

so lets say 1200 a month x 12 months =14,400 a year , and we can pretty much establish Penny makes about 32k a year (see she can already aford it but lets dive in more ) Maybe a little more with her bartending/waitressing, a residual check for her commercials (not much - but helps) and ,money from Ape-ist 1 and 2 , Now its said to afford you apt your supposed to make x3 you rent ( apartment renters use this as a guideling but not written in stone ),Penny brings home aprox $2667 a month and her rent is 1200 a month . So she almost makes 2.5 times her rent in a month. so she is close . IF the rent were cheaper lets say 1100 or 1000 a month - the number would even be closer. 

she has a big saving in food ,The gang pays for her meals most of the time , and she brings home food from work , she cooks sometimes , That could save her at least $400 a month in food cost. she uses the guys wifi saving more money and like above the cable could be included in the rent.

it is established that Leonard has helped her out before with money.

the BIG X factor Lenord who as an Experimental Teaching Physicist in CA would make no less then 60k a year (and that's on the low end) - giving him plenty of cash to just give Penny  now and then without hurting his lifestyle what so ever. He could easily throw her up to $500 a month. and we all know Leonard is going to give Penny whatever she needs to stay across the hall.

And that folks proves Penny can afford her apartment.

Also, an apartment building where the elevator hasn't been fixed for 8 years is probably cheaper than most. You wouldn't find anything like that in real life Pasadena, I imagine... even in a balneary in Brazil, buildings with broken elevators would be seen with extreme skepticism.

Also, an apartment building where the elevator hasn't been fixed for 8 years is probably cheaper than most. You wouldn't find anything like that in real life Pasadena, I imagine... even in a balneary in Brazil, buildings with broken elevators would be seen with extreme skepticism.

Good point LMD3014  , the rent may even be cheaper in a building where the elevator doesn't work . Im sure thats a running joke among the writers that the elevator never gets fixed . I heard (rumor now) its against the building code not to be fixed within a resonable amount of time..

Edited by AceMackenzie9

Good point LMD3014  , the rent may even be cheaper in a building where the elevator doesn't work . Im sure thats a running joke among the writers that the elevator never gets fixed . I heard (rumor now) its against the building code not to be fixed within a resonable amount of time..

When I did my analysis in Post #20, I looked at the prices and then either used the lower of the range or took a couple a hundred a month off, for the broken elevator.

How realistic is it that the characters never run into the other tenants living in the building in the stairwell, lobby or laundry room? - it is always easy to find things to quibble about on a TV show - as for how Penny can afford her rent, as Sheldon might say - that is impossible to determine without knowing variables like how much her rent is and how much money she makes.

• Like 1

I've posted it before and I still believe it.

Leonard secretly subsidizes her rent to keep her there.   Given that in a relatively early episode,  she owes Leonard more than 1,400 dollars IIRC.   It doesn't take much to believe that Leonard is slipping the landlord a couple of hundred a month to help out on Penny's rent.    

In addition, in more than one episode it is implied by Leonard that his and Sheldon's rent is relatively cheap.   If their rent is cheap then Penny's certainly is as well.

I also wondered how the heck Penny could afford her apartment, but then I wasn't aware that The Cheesecake Factory is actually a real place and that waitresses could earn 33K a year.. I can guarantee you waitresses in Eugene Oregon certainly do not make near that amount.

But it is a just TV show and I can suspend disbelief