Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vonmar

Young Sheldon Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, vonmar said:

From TV Guide

Young Sheldon Showrunner Teases "Easter Egg" for Big Bang Fans in Season 1 Finale

Young Sheldon has doled out fun surprises for fans of The Big Bang Theory all season long. There have been explanations for why grown-up Sheldon (Jim Parsons) is the way he is, and origin stories for beloved Big Bang bits. And the Season 1 finale is going to contain another really big one.

"I can say that there's a lovely Easter egg at the end of the episode that I think people should not miss," Young Sheldon co-creator Steven Molaro tells TV Guide.

We're not going to spoil it, but we'll say that you're going to want to watch this live, because it's going to light the Big Bang Theory part of the internet up.

<full article in the link>

Trying to keep TBBT viewers in spite of the episode not airing right after a new TBBT...?

ETA: Molaro also says there that they did not expect the Sheldon-Mee-Maw relationship to take such a big part of the show. I find it interesting because I think Mee-Maw is somewhat like Penny and in the beginning of TBBT they found the potential in Sheldon-Penny scenes and had many of them in season 2.

Edited by bfm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was that the season finale? I thought they had 24 episodes ordered...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, bfm said:

Was that the season finale? I thought they had 24 episodes ordered...

No, just 22 from what I can tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came to find the RA concept less endearing over the years, so to find out he did a RA with his children (yay, Shamy had more than one child!!!) I find kind of unhealthy and slightly worrying in all honesty. Not funny in my view.

To put that same sort of burden on his own children can't be healthy. I get the RA is seen as a joke, but like I said before once the novelty wore off it's actually not a good thing.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I came to find the RA concept less endearing over the years, so to find out he did a RA with his children (yay, Shamy had more than one child!!!) I find kind of unhealthy and slightly worrying in all honesty. Not funny in my view.

To put that same sort of burden on his own children can't be healthy. I get the RA is seen as a joke, but like I said before once the novelty wore off it's actually not a good thing.

Maybe these agreements weren't all that umm..encompassing. Maybe something like an agreement that says Dad is always The Flash when wearing costumes... Agreements help Sheldon deal with the world, it could be fine if it's fair to both sides and changed when it doesn't fit. Maybe agreements would help his children/one of them as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bfm said:

Maybe these agreements weren't all that umm..encompassing. Maybe something like an agreement that says Dad is always The Flash when wearing costumes... Agreements help Sheldon deal with the world, it could be fine if it's fair to both sides and changed when it doesn't fit. Maybe agreements would help his children/one of them as well.

Yeah, I would hope by whatever point in the future Sheldon's narration takes place he makes fairer agreements, for lack of a better wording.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite a different perspective of contracts that eventually become the RA.

Quote

Leonard: Aw, screw the roommate agreement!
Sheldon: No, you don't screw the roommate agreement. The roommate agreement screws you.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this hasn't been posted yet?

http://www.tvguide.com/news/young-sheldon-baby-reveal/

Young Sheldon Revealed Something Huge About Sheldon's Future

[...]

Young Sheldon co-creator Steven Molaro told TV Guide about how the children decision was made. There was the opportunity for cross-show synergy by having the revelation come the same night as the wedding that he didn't want to go to waste, of course. But Molaro and co-creator Chuck Lorre have also been thinking about where Sheldon is in his life as he's narrating Young Sheldon. Molaro was talking with Lance Barber — who plays Sheldon's father George Sr. — about how George Sr. seems a lot nicer than we would have thought based on what Sheldon has said about him on The Big Bang Theory, and that got them thinking about how Sheldon having kids of his own would change his perspective on his father.

"I think that some of these stories adult Sheldon is telling us through young Sheldon are reflections on 'now that I have my own children, maybe I'm seeing that world through my Dad's eyes more clearly than I had,'" Molaro says. "Those thoughts had been on my mind for awhile, and I think that's what led to that final line of the season."

It's an idea Molaro has taken from his own life. "I've got two boys," Molaro says, "and I remember being 11 years old and your parents are like these gods to you, and then when my son was 11, my feeling about myself was 'oh no, I don't know what I'm doing! I have no idea what's going on. Is that what my father felt like when I was 11?' It really starts to change your perspective on a lot of things. And I think some of that is what we're seeing on Young Sheldon." (We saw it a little bit during the Big Bang finale, too, when Sheldon said he missed his deceased father and wished he could be there. His attitude is already softening.)

[...]

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That does explain a lot but not the knock.

Edited by djsurrey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2018 at 7:49 AM, djsurrey said:

That does explain a lot but not the knock.

I think the anecdote was Sheldon's rationalisation of why he did the knocking. He blows hot and cold over whether he has problems dealing with the world. When he was with Penny in the ice cream shop he was already agitated what with the bathroom schedule and everything. It's hard for him to admit that many of his issues stem from himself. It was a challenging evening for him and he grasped at a straw.

Edited by joyceraye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I think the knock was Sheldon's rationalisation of why he did the knocking. He blows hot and cold over whether he has problems dealing with the world. When he was with Penny in the ice cream shop he was already agitated what with the bathroom schedule and everything. It's hard for him to admit that many of his issues stem from himself. It was a challenging evening for him and he grasped at a straw.

So you're saying he was lying about his father cheating on his mother? That doesn't make him come off well... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, bfm said:

So you're saying he was lying about his father cheating on his mother? That doesn't make him come off well... 

Unless he was just mistaken somehow. His mother in a disguise/costume.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bfm said:

So you're saying he was lying about his father cheating on his mother? That doesn't make him come off well... 

Not lying. I think they'll come up with an alternative if they get as far into the life years of Sheldon to need one. They'll  say he misunderstood what he saw. I posted a couple of ideas at the time we heard the story but I've forgotten what they were. I like  djsurrey's suggestion of his parents playing a dress-up game. It wouldn't be the first time a couple married many years tried things to resurrect or spice-up their sex life.

Edited by joyceraye
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know...one of the most recognizable traits Sheldon has turns out to be due to a simple misunderstanding...if the writers really go there, it sounds to me  a creative disaster! 

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Not lying. I think they'll come up with an alternative if they get as far into the life years of Sheldon to need one. They'll  say he misunderstood what he saw. I posted a couple of ideas at the time we heard the story but I've forgotten what they were. I like  djsurrey's suggestion of his parents playing a dress-up game. It wouldn't be the first time a couple married many years try things to resurrect or spice-up their sex life.

It would be a Major retcon there and it's not like that was the only ever reference to his dad having a relationship with another woman (though I could be wrong on that).

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mirs1 said:

I don't know...one of the most recognizable traits Sheldon has turns out to be due to a simple misunderstanding...if the writers really go there, it sounds to me  a creative disaster! 

Disaster? Considering other stuff like the last ep of season 4,  Penny being married to Zack or the boat kiss this would be rather benign. Hardly a disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jonny said:

It would be a Major retcon there and it's not like that was the only ever reference to his dad having a relationship with another woman (though I could be wrong on that).

It was mentioned as early as S4 - so it's really not a one-off joke. Besides the knocking origin they also doubled down on it with Sheldon recounting Mary giving his dad a fire-and-brimstone speech with some unchristian words in it so she knows and it's not something like Sheldon mistaking her in a costume or some such nonsense.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, April said:

It was mentioned as early as S4 - so it's really not a one-off joke. Besides the knocking origin they also doubled down on it with Sheldon recounting Mary giving his dad a fire-and-brimstone speech with some unchristian words in it so she knows and it's not something like Sheldon mistaking her in a costume or some such nonsense.

Well said.

The only way I can see them not showing that shift in the family dynamic is if the show just doesn't get to that point in the story, it ends before they have to show that. Which I think could be a possibility.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2018 at 10:25 PM, joyceraye said:

How realistic  was the eating of a packed lunch in the school library ? Is it allowed in American schools ?  I know I left school a long time before 1989, but even then books were still made out of  paper and susceptible to finger marks and spilled juice. In my schooldays the library was definitely not a permitted picnic area !

Only ever did it in the Lenin Library in Moscow and thought it was crazy, even there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iain is doing PR for Young Sheldon in Berlin...

(3 pictures)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BigBangEnthusiast said:

Does anyone know where the cast is headed next? Like like they're in London now.

Oh I hope so. I'd love to hear the children on Woman's Hour and hear Laurie's Desert Island Discs !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Oh I hope so. I'd love to hear the children on Woman's Hour and hear Laurie's Desert Island Discs !

They are in London now. Not sure what shows they will appear on. I have a friend from Italy who is hoping they travel there.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.