The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mikey

What does Sheldon bring to the group?

Decided to watch a few episodes of TBBT because I could...
Basically my impression of Jim Parson's character, Sheldon Cooper is that his backstory basically sets him up as the Bolivian Tree Lizard from The Simpsons.
Other than that he is pretty much a leech who's whole existence is to suck the life out of the other characters on the show.
Besides the obvious question of why would Leonard be friends/live with him (essentially the guy that he completely leeches off), Does his character actually bring anything to their group dynamic??

This is different to what he brings to the show. Sheldon Cooper is main to almost every episode plot of all of them and he probably is the big draw card. Just that any group would have kicked him out a long time ago (or smothered him in his sleep). 
For how much he detracts from the groups cohesion, I think it would have been interesting to remove him and have made Raj or Stuart as Leonard's roommate or just Sheldon portrayed by someone else to actually make him bring something to the group...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Basically my impression of Jim Parson's character, Sheldon Cooper is that his backstory basically sets him up as the Bolivian Tree Lizard from The Simpsons.
Other than that he is pretty much a leech who's whole existence is to suck the life out of the other characters on the show.
Besides the obvious question of why would Leonard be friends/live with him (essentially the guy that he completely leeches off), Does his character actually bring anything to their group dynamic??

This is different to what he brings to the show. Sheldon Cooper is main to almost every episode plot of all of them and he probably is the big draw card. Just that any group would have kicked him out a long time ago (or smothered him in his sleep). 
For how much he detracts from the groups cohesion, I think it would have been interesting to remove him and have made Raj or Stuart as Leonard's roommate or just Sheldon portrayed by someone else to actually make him bring something to the group...

An interesting perspective

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Does his character actually bring anything to their group dynamic??

Yes, discontent. Jim did it so well.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

A question that has been debated at length. Originally, Sheldon was roommate to Leonard and most of what Leonard did for him was stipulated in the Roommate Agreement. Howard and Raj got sucked in because they were friends with Leonard.

As to why they would continue to interact/socialize with him there are any number of reasons. They all shared multiple common interests. He possessed abilities that they found useful at times, e.g., he served as the group's institutional memory. At various times they delighted in exploiting his character traits and tormented him. They delighted in seeing others suffering his idiosyncrasies. The Sheldon spotlight could be entertaining to those not caught in its focus.

These characters were complicated people. No doubt about that. Why would they remain friends with, and tolerate, Sheldon? Tough question, but it can be asked about most of them. Howard (1.0) was creepy and frequently disturbing. Raj was, at times, much worse in many ways than Sheldon. Amy could be as creepy as Howard and as needy as Leonard. Bernadette could be frighteningly mean. Penny was often morally ambiguous, a bully, and a manipulative moocher. Leonard certainly had issues but was mostly the stable nucleus of an unstable group. None of them was perfect, but together they created some magical moments. For us as viewers and in their make believe world.

• Like 5
  • Penny Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Because it is a sitcom and, a sitcom needs conflict and situations that go wrong and a character who is unpredictable and will handle situations with a level of humor if you the viewer can watch it without taking it so seriously. Removing him would have made the show boring And as Hewolf said, he did bring very much to the group

• Like 2
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

14 hours ago, HeWolf said:

A question that has been debated at length. Originally, Sheldon was roommate to Leonard and most of what Leonard did for him was stipulated in the Roommate Agreement. Howard and Raj got sucked in because they were friends with Leonard.

As to why they would continue to interact/socialize with him there are any number of reasons. They all shared multiple common interests. He possessed abilities that they found useful at times, e.g., he served as the group's institutional memory. At various times they delighted in exploiting his character traits and tormented him. They delighted in seeing others suffering his idiosyncrasies. The Sheldon spotlight could be entertaining to those not caught in its focus.

These characters were complicated people. No doubt about that. Why would they remain friends with, and tolerate, Sheldon? Tough question, but it can be asked about most of them. Howard (1.0) was creepy and frequently disturbing. Raj was, at times, much worse in many ways than Sheldon. Amy could be as creepy as Howard and as needy as Leonard. Bernadette could be frighteningly mean. Penny was often morally ambiguous, a bully, and a manipulative moocher. Leonard certainly had issues but was mostly the stable nucleus of an unstable group. None of them was perfect, but together they created some magical moments. For us as viewers and in their make believe world.

You manage to explain the balancing act between seriousness and plausibility within a fictitious genre. Very nice! 🙂

• Like 5
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Watching it from the beginning without a week or more between episodes, I'm realising the extent to which it was always 'The Sheldon Show' that posters commenting on the late episodes were complaining about. Sheldon is the focus of the other men's irritation. He annoys them to distraction and accommodating his foibles is the reason they don't do things. I don't understand the Simpsons reference but if it's anything about someone who's the irritant in the oyster shell that results in a pearl, I can get that.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, HeWolf said:

Bravo! A perfectly honest, accurate and true post!

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

Watching it from the beginning without a week or more between episodes, I'm realising the extent to which it was always 'The Sheldon Show' that posters commenting on the late episodes were complaining about. Sheldon is the focus of the other men's irritation. He annoys them to distraction and accommodating his foibles is the reason they don't do things. I don't understand the Simpsons reference but if it's anything about someone who's the irritant in the oyster shell that results in a pearl, I can get that.

Positively agree!

• Like 2

I think Sheldon also brings the group together in a way, if it wasn't for him I don't think Leonard, Raj and Howard would be as close as they were in the show. Sheldon causes arguments but when he does we see that the group bonds yet again. I think it also emphasise how much they have changed as a group as well, as in the show we know that Sheldon is a focus point but we then see how he slowly starts to help the group with his eidetic memory and his smarts. This is shown in The Bitcoin Entanglement as even though they didn't get the bitcoin they did have to rely on Sheldon's eidetic memory.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Evz-14 said:

I think Sheldon also brings the group together in a way, if it wasn't for him I don't think Leonard, Raj and Howard would be as close as they were in the show. Sheldon causes arguments but when he does we see that the group bonds yet again. I think it also emphasise how much they have changed as a group as well, as in the show we know that Sheldon is a focus point but we then see how he slowly starts to help the group with his eidetic memory and his smarts. This is shown in The Bitcoin Entanglement as even though they didn't get the bitcoin they did have to rely on Sheldon's eidetic memory.

The problem, is that Sheldon's eidetic memory, is an on and off thing.    Hell, they built the whole Amy and Sheldon get back together on him not knowing a song.   In the case of bitcoin, the only reason they had to rely on his memory, was because he move the bitcoin files out of the computer it was in.