The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ivana

Leonard

I would like to dedicate this thread to Leonard, because I have a feeling he's a bit neglected as a character on this forum.

He's such a prototype of a perfect nerdy guy, decent, smart, nice and good, a guy almost every woman would like to have (but some of them aren't aware of that yet :D). And I also believe he's the basis of the show, a link that connects all the other characters, the "normal" guy who brings balance to the idiosyncrasies of others.

Opinions from other fans of the show :) ?

I actually like Leonard as much as Sheldon. Although he has his crazy moments too, there are times Leonard seems to be the most stable one in the group (out of the 4 guys that is).

In all great comedy's there has to be the straight man. Leonard is that man.

He is a genius and a nerd but the most normal of the group which makes him the relatable everyman. He is also the key link between the guys and Penny.

From episode one of the show it was established that he was going to pursue a relationship Penny, and from early in season one it was clear Penny was at least interested in Leonard. The comedy that came from this attraction, romatic pursuit and later relationship, the situations that arise and the effect it has on the "nerds" was the central premise of the show.

Obviously now they have broken up it will be interesting to see how they play this out.

Sheldon buy his bombastic nature comands the most attention but in my opinion Leonard is the most important figure in the show because he ties the characters together.

It's not that he's neglected, it's just that he happens to be the most normal in the show! Everyone else have their little special things: Howard hitting on every boobs he sees, Raj not speaking to woman (along with his indian references), Sheldon being Sheldon, and Penny being non-nerd (which is, of course, not normal! lol). Leonard... Well, I am a Leonard, I think that, even if we might see a little bit of ourself in every character (I like to be "charmy", for instance), Leonard is the character we all look like the most, you know?

So, yeah, we all respect him for that. As a character, he his great! And he has great jokes, too. It's just that he doesn't have any special attitude like the other characters have. I mean, even guest stars: Leslie's a girl scientist/nympho, Kripke is actually Kwipki, Wil Wheaton is evil... They all have their something! :p

Hmm... Well, I guess for Leonard there is a strong tendency for sarcastic remarks... And he also has a tendency to mispeak. ("So you don't mind that I'm not smart?" "Exactly" is a good exemple of that). So, yeah, I guess he, too, have a special status! Forget what I said earlier then! LOL

I like Leonard and actually he's the one who makes the show possible... isn't he? would you imagine Raj, Howard and Penny befriending with Sheldon all by themselves.. i don't think so... :p

Having seen Leonard's capability of tolerating Sheldon...I admire his tolerance and would like to have a friend like him too :p

ok ok i agree with most things above but dont you agree they should have given him some more "attitude" ?

In some situations like the time he went to get the $1800 back for penny and she thought it was kurt's idea and he didnt say a thing, the least thing he could have done was just remove his cap

I find it hard to like leonard much. He is just too accommodating to women. I mean a woman asks him do something, and he does it, no questions asked.

-so, no spine, this guy.

Still, he is nice enough in his way. I just wish he would take a stand now and then. Maybe the series should give him personal growth in this matter, ie make him more assertive.

and no, assertive is not an insulting term, although by the sound of it, it should be!

I find it hard to like leonard much. He is just too accommodating to women. I mean a woman asks him do something, and he does it, no questions asked.

-so, no spine, this guy.

Still, he is nice enough in his way. I just wish he would take a stand now and then. Maybe the series should give him personal growth in this matter, ie make him more assertive.

and no, assertive is not an insulting term, although by the sound of it, it should be!

I think the fact that Leonard has no spine and is accommodating toward women shows the lengths that those who have not had many relationships, if any at all, can be once they do find love.

I agree that it is not a good trait and an unscrupulous woman could really take advantage of someone like that.

I do agree that the series should show Leonard becoming more assertive in that area.

BillF63, you are quite right. I know a lot of men who are just like leonard in that respect because they have not had much interaction with females.

I suppose I would be very much the same, had I not been lucky to get into health industry when young. This meant i had a LOT of female co workers. Half a year of that, and my boyish shyness was gone!

BillF63, you are quite right. I know a lot of men who are just like leonard in that respect because they have not had much interaction with females.

I suppose I would be very much the same, had I not been lucky to get into health industry when young. This meant i had a LOT of female co workers. Half a year of that, and my boyish shyness was gone!

I was very shy in high school and I went into the health care field and would often be the only male working with many single women. My shyness soon was gone and I never had a problem getting dates. Now the wisdom of dating ones co-workers? That's another story! :p