The Big Bang Theory Forums
Linaelecteur

THE BIG BANG THEORY

I just watched the last episonde of The Big Bang Theory and it's amazing! I cried so hard it was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen! The Big Bang may be the the number 1 comedy but it's far more than that! It's the most pure, beautiful and heartwarming love story anyone has ever known, it's about the most simple and true way anyone can love and it's about how the smallest things can have such a huge impact on peoples lives and make them turn out amazing it's not just a tv show it's a life lesson and the best story I have ever known. 

Thank you so much, because that, is the explanation for how the universe works.

It did start with The Big Bang... 

• Like 7
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

On 12/17/2019 at 11:08 AM, Linaelecteur said:

I just watched the last episonde of The Big Bang Theory and it's amazing! I cried so hard it was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen! The Big Bang may be the the number 1 comedy but it's far more than that! It's the most pure, beautiful and heartwarming love story anyone has ever known, it's about the most simple and true way anyone can love and it's about how the smallest things can have such a huge impact on peoples lives and make them turn out amazing it's not just a tv show it's a life lesson and the best story I have ever known. 

Thank you so much, because that, is the explanation for how the universe works.

It did start with The Big Bang... 

That is one of the most truthful things I've ever read, and the show is just like it. The show allows people to express them for who they are because of the effect it has had on our society at the moment. I've seen it many times and one thing I have always said is the show is so honest and I think definitely discusses many things in life. It presents life as honestly as possible, so many shows have made life try to look as perfect as possible. I think that's why it is/was so popular, it actually gives younger viewers a bit of a sense of how life could be and how you have to work to get certain things. 

I've loved the show for so many years and I've seen it nearly 6 times because of it. I was devastated when I heard it was finishing and cry every time I watch the finale. It's had such an impact on so many people throughout its 12 years and I think it will have an impact for many years to come.

Still so upset it's done never know how to react when such an incredible thing ends...

Edited by Evz-14
  • Like 3

Hello 

This question isn't quite relevant to what has been previously discussed but if you could help me out that would be great! I'm also new to this and I am not sure where the best place to ask a general questions is. 

I am trying to find a particular episode where Amy Farrah Fowler is mistreated or belittled in someway by Sheldon or any other of her peers because she is a women working in the field of STEM, which is sometimes an environment for gender inequality. 

The name of the particular episode or at least the season in which there is an example of such discrimination, prejudice or mistreatment would be most helpful for my project. 

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Rose said:

Hello 

This question isn't quite relevant to what has been previously discussed but if you could help me out that would be great! I'm also new to this and I am not sure where the best place to ask a general questions is. 

I am trying to find a particular episode where Amy Farrah Fowler is mistreated or belittled in someway by Sheldon or any other of her peers because she is a women working in the field of STEM, which is sometimes an environment for gender inequality. 

The name of the particular episode or at least the season in which there is an example of such discrimination, prejudice or mistreatment would be most helpful for my project. 

Thanks!

I cannot recall the named episode but there was one whereby Sheldon belittles his wife's work and gets the university president to assign her to work with him instead of her own research. This was truly a selfish and unacceptable act by Sheldon. Maybe someone else can recall the name of the episode for you.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Rose said:

Hello 

Thanks!

Can't think of anytime he mistreated as in abuse. But she wasn't spared from his occasional condescending rants on multiple topics, as were other members of the gang. Try season 4 when they had the discussion in CalTech's cafeteria and Sheldon went on to get the many cats. I can't remember the episode off hand.

5 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

I cannot recall the named episode but there was one whereby Sheldon belittles his wife's work and gets the university president to assign her to work with him instead of her own research. This was truly a selfish and unacceptable act by Sheldon. Maybe someone else can recall the name of the episode for you.

There are many  episodes to choose from with his condescension toward non Physics studies.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for your help!

I have found a handful of episodes using the information you described:

"The Planetarium Collision", "The Paintball Scattering", "The Confirmation Polarization", "The Inspiration Deprivation" (all from season 12) and "The Zazzy Substitution" (season 4). There are probably others but do you have any recommendations to which episode would provide the best example for the topic I mentioned from my previous post?

Thanks again.

Ok I haven't had much luck finding exactly what I am looking for in the above episodes. 

Would anyone remember an episode where Sheldon is completely downplaying Amy's work and accomplishments as a Neurobiologist and not accepting her as an intellectual equal?

Any description of the episode or even the season number would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rose said:

Ok I haven't had much luck finding exactly what I am looking for in the above episodes. 

Would anyone remember an episode where Sheldon is completely downplaying Amy's work and accomplishments as a Neurobiologist and not accepting her as an intellectual equal?

Any description of the episode or even the season number would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Try 11.01 The Proposal Proposal.   He is insulting to Amy's coworkers, and Amy, and also makes some negative comments about her work, when he calls Stephen Hawking.   Or, 7.05, The Workplace Proximity, there 's a couple of zingers towards Amy (He asks her what she's doing, she explains it, and he says, "So, nonsense".   

• Like 1

Thank you so much!

Those episodes have really good examples. 

I will keep looking for more examples and if anyone knows of any other episodes which really encapsulate the issue of gender inequality for women in STEM that would definitely be very helpful. 

I am also looking for some examples regarding this issue or a similar issue under the gender inequality branch in the TV show; Bones so if anyone has seen that series and can think of some examples from there that would be amazing. Otherwise, I can just focus on Big Bang theory theory. 

Thank you!

In Season 10, Episode 2 "The Military Miniaturization", Bernadette tries to keep her pregnancy hidden from people at work for fear she will be treated differently. There's some discussion about how she has always been treated differently at work.

6 hours ago, Rose said:

Thanks!

Season 5, Episode 12: The Shiny Trinket Maneuver

Amy: Sounds like you hit the ground running. I have a bit of good news myself. My most recent paper on how a cooperative long-term potentiation can map memory sequences in dendritic branches made the cover of Neuron.

Sheldon: Ooh! Speaking of good news, somebody just hit 100 Twitter followers.

Amy: That’s nice. Anyway, I’ve been dreaming of this day for a long time.

Sheldon: Yeah, me, too. Triple digits, I’m not gonna lie, feels pretty good.

Amy: Sheldon, I’m the sole author on a paper being published in a distinguished journal that may change the course of my field.

Sheldon: Mm-hmm. Mm-hmm. Ooh, 101! Air’s getting a bit thin up here.

Penny: So, are we ready to order?

Amy: Give me a minute. I’m gonna go wash up.

Sheldon: Well, that’s odd. We both washed up when we came in. It’s probably a euphemism for urination.

Penny: Sheldon, what is wrong with you?

Sheldon: Not much. Although, I can be faulted for being overly fond of koala bears. I don’t know what it is, when they smart munching on eucalyptus, I just melt inside.

Penny: Okay, Amy just told you some exciting news, and you acted like it was no big deal.

Sheldon: Oh, I see why you’re confused. No, her news sounded important, but what you’re forgetting is, it was an achievement in the field of biology. That’s all about yucky, squishy things.

Penny: Honey, she’s upset. You’re her boyfriend. You have to at least try to be excited by the things she’s excited by.

Sheldon: What if they simply don’t excite me?

Penny: Well, just smile and think about koalas.

Sheldon: She’d see right through that. We go to the zoo all the time. She knows my koala face. And for future reference, it’s this.

Edited by HeWolf
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, HeWolf said:

Season 5, Episode 12: The Shiny Trinket Maneuver

Amy: Sounds like you hit the ground running. I have a bit of good news myself. My most recent paper on how a cooperative long-term potentiation can map memory sequences in dendritic branches made the cover of Neuron.

Sheldon: Ooh! Speaking of good news, somebody just hit 100 Twitter followers.

Amy: That’s nice. Anyway, I’ve been dreaming of this day for a long time.

Sheldon: Yeah, me, too. Triple digits, I’m not gonna lie, feels pretty good.

Amy: Sheldon, I’m the sole author on a paper being published in a distinguished journal that may change the course of my field.

Sheldon: Mm-hmm. Mm-hmm. Ooh, 101! Air’s getting a bit thin up here.

Penny: So, are we ready to order?

Amy: Give me a minute. I’m gonna go wash up.

Sheldon: Well, that’s odd. We both washed up when we came in. It’s probably a euphemism for urination.

Penny: Sheldon, what is wrong with you?

Sheldon: Not much. Although, I can be faulted for being overly fond of koala bears. I don’t know what it is, when they smart munching on eucalyptus, I just melt inside.

Penny: Okay, Amy just told you some exciting news, and you acted like it was no big deal.

Sheldon: Oh, I see why you’re confused. No, her news sounded important, but what you’re forgetting is, it was an achievement in the field of biology. That’s all about yucky, squishy things.

Penny: Honey, she’s upset. You’re her boyfriend. You have to at least try to be excited by the things she’s excited by.

Sheldon: What if they simply don’t excite me?

Penny: Well, just smile and think about koalas.

Sheldon: She’d see right through that. We go to the zoo all the time. She knows my koala face. And for future reference, it’s this.

Perfectly obvious on his opinion of her work.

Thank you so much, I am incredibly grateful for everyone's help with my project!

I think I have some really good examples that I can now use for my topic. 

You have all been so helpful and have provided excellent examples for me. I wish there were more helpful forums for other TV shows like this one. 

Thank you!!

On 2/14/2020 at 10:15 AM, Rose said:

Thank you so much!

Those episodes have really good examples. 

I will keep looking for more examples and if anyone knows of any other episodes which really encapsulate the issue of gender inequality for women in STEM that would definitely be very helpful. 

I am also looking for some examples regarding this issue or a similar issue under the gender inequality branch in the TV show; Bones so if anyone has seen that series and can think of some examples from there that would be amazing. Otherwise, I can just focus on Big Bang theory theory. 

Thank you!

I'm not sure if this is what your thinking of but in season 8 episode 7 I believe it is Bernadette gets an award as one of the '50th sexiest female scientists' and Amy seems quite taken a back by it all. She argues some valid points and it certainly is a good episode about equality in science especially.