The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nogravitasatall

Bushfires - Australia loses an estimated 500 million animals

see abc.net.au

We spent all day yesterday  checking fire services websites to see where the fires are, so we can run away to somewhere safe if we have to flee, even if there is no immediate threat. The fires can travel faster than a person can run.

Not all the wildlife is that quick.

Under certain conditions ember attack can travel more than 5 kilometres ahead of the fire front. I have an alert set for fires at 10kms distance.

And I live on the urban fringe. I can’t imagine what it’s like in the fire zones 

Ancient rainforests, that may have never been involved with fire since Gondwanaland broke up, have been incinerated. An area maybe equivalent to Belgium has been burned.

There is an index that estimates fire risk. 100 on the index is “catastrophic”, where fires can’t be contained. In some places the index hit 200.

It’s just so dry. Everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Koala Face 1

On 1/4/2020 at 5:29 PM, Nogravitasatall said:

see abc.net.au

We spent all day yesterday  checking fire services websites to see where the fires are, so we can run away to somewhere safe if we have to flee, even if there is no immediate threat. The fires can travel faster than a person can run.

Not all the wildlife is that quick.

Under certain conditions ember attack can travel more than 5 kilometres ahead of the fire front. I have an alert set for fires at 10kms distance.

And I live on the urban fringe. I can’t imagine what it’s like in the fire zones 

Ancient rainforests, that may have never been involved with fire since Gondwanaland broke up, have been incinerated. An area maybe equivalent to Belgium has been burned.

There is an index that estimates fire risk. 100 on the index is “catastrophic”, where fires can’t be contained. In some places the index hit 200.

It’s just so dry. Everywhere.

Have thought of you often as I have watched the horrible news. Hoping the best for you and your beautiful country.

• Like 2