The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

4.03 The Zazzy Substitution (Oct. 7)

"The Zazzy Substitution" - The guys are concerned as Sheldon searches for an alternative to human companionship, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, Oct. 7 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Episode Guide | Wiki

Laurie Metcalf and Mayim Bialik guest star in the episode.

Should be interesting, judging by the photos. Sheldon, who is allergic to cats, sitting on the couch surrounded by the fluffy beasts ...

Steve

The Wiki

• Like 2

Oh good God I hate cats. This should be good. LOL.

This looks good, I'm glad they are continuing the Sheldon "girlfriend' storyline.

Ok, so this week, I'm first about posting the promo! :) Yeah! lol

Anyway, spoilers, obviously, and enjoy!

Amy has to stay! She is like Sheldon from series 1, backed up by the now somewhat more socially aware Sheldon mk.2. At least 3 sarcastic barbs in the first 5 minutes. Excellent! After a long time, an episode with great one-liners. Everybody got at least one in. Even Penny "Wow, that's like the worst country song ever"!

I assume everybody noticed the continuity error regarding Sheldon's seemingly cured allergy to cats, even though they kept to the theme of cats being a substitute for lost emotional attachment. YES!, Sheldon officially has emotions!

Nice to see Hermann von Helmholtz get a nod. One of the unsung hereos. Finger in numerous pies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_von_Helmholtz

I really liked the episode and laughed out loud several times. I do hope they keep Amy around more she does add a lot of humor to the show and she has chemistry with the rest of the cast along with having chemistry with Sheldon. I can be forgiving of the continuity error because the premise is a universal stereotype of people who cannot navigate social relationships (they turn to animals, often cats, to sublimate their emotional needs). I think they way Sheldon's Mom uses reverse psychology so easily and how it went over Sheldon's head was simply brilliant.

Not bad, not real good.

I'm disappointed that too many Seldon conventions were broken.

Cats? He has asthma.

Caring about Amy? Seldon? Never.

Amy in Sheldon's room? I thought no one went in Sheldon's room.

The season better get better....

• Like 1

This episode was the first time I ever watched TBBT and I'm already hooked. Probably because Sheldon looks and acts just like my boyfriend (pictured in my Avatar ... tell me he couldn't be Sheldon's father! PhD in applied mathematics too!) The whole cat angle was great from my perspective, because that's what initially got me to watch the show. I've been hearing about how some people are offended by the lack of continuity in this episode, claiming that Sheldon is allergic to cats, that Sheldon has a "no pets" clause in the lease, he's OC about cleanliness, etc. This idea might make people feel better about all that: "Love makes you do crazy things." Ever been in love? Ever done things that were totally out of character because of your love interest? I know I have. It could be hypothesized that Sheldon became so emotional at the loss of Amy that he was willing to put aside his aversion to certain things (in this case, cats and the health issues that can go along with them) in order to provide himself with suitable substitute companionship ("they don't argue with you, they don't question your intellectual authority"). It all makes perfect sense to me ... especially since Sheldon's mom did tell Amy that Sheldon had "lost his mind" over her. Perhaps the writers failed to make it clear that Sheldon was *supposed* to be out of character in this episode? Just a few thoughts from a newbie to the show and this forum.

Hmm, much better than 4.02 but I didn't like how they make Sheldon

so emotional now! I agree with previous posts: Sheldon shouldn't have been with cats (remember when Leonard and Penny 'broke up' and Leonard wanted to get a cat and then Sheldon tried really, really hard to stop him?) - nevermind that he is allergic, he hates cats!

Next point about Amy going into Sheldon's room and SHELDON suggesting it? Nuh-uh. Doesn't work that way. He shouldn't change that much! I think Amy adds a nice dynamic to the show - just don't want her to take away Sheldon's loveable bluntness and lack of human connection. That's what made him funny!

• Like 1

i like Amy. she is a breath of fresh air, though very abrasive. what i like about Sheldon type characters are how their OCD tendencies are actually an asset to their success, tho funny and peculiar to those that observe them (Sheldon folding his socks in the Folder thing). What i dont like is when the intelligent are portrayed as cold and hateful. I had often equated Sheldon's character to Data on Star Trek. . . . Data had no emotion, but was never hateful, unless warranted. My point bein, as the episodes progress, seems emotional restraint is bein portrayed as hateful ,insincere, and Helpless. Sheldon does not need to be manipulated by Amy and his mom. Sheldon should be able to say "Then i will discontinue the Appropriate Sub Routines". . . . .and go to the comic book store.

Guest Dianita

I loooooved it!! it was sooo funny! the zazzy face and the bollywood breakdance OMG!! amazing!

I didn't really like the episode, and also, I have a feeling that Raj and Howard carry the 4th season (at least up 'till this point). They are the most humorous ones, Leonard is more of a supporting role, and Sheldon is, well, Sheldon :). He cannot really get bad, but the connection between the characters can.

I like Amy, but the scene where Sheldon's mother gets them "back together" lacks something. I expected much more of an effort to get them to socialize again. It was too fast and too easy. And honestly, so many cats and Sheldon's OCD do not go together. No matter how cute Zazzy is ;)

Not bad, not real good.

I'm disappointed that too many Seldon conventions were broken.

Cats? He has asthma.

Caring about Amy? Seldon? Never.

Amy in Sheldon's room? I thought no one went in Sheldon's room.

The season better get better....

Agree. This episode just so so...

I don't get why anyone would want to date someone just like much less the female version of them which is what Amy is and she's more robotic than Sheldon ever was, but then again it's Sheldon

Now how can Raj not know where the rocky mountains are located at?

With the ending Sheldon makes one awful Salesman.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

With the ending Sheldon makes one awful Salesman.

he doesn't know about geography? I dunno. Maybe because he is foreign, and he didn't study United States Geography at school

Do you know where the Sahyadri mountains are?

Isn't that where Apollo Creed grew up?