The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MyNameIsThaneryst

The Asthma Confusion

Upon my re-run of the show, I've noticed an inconsistency.

In the first season, episode 3 'The Fuzzy Boots Corollary', Leonard arrives home with bags, singing. Sheldon says, "Oh, I hope that scratching post is for you." When Leonard pulls one out. Leonard replies with, "I know what you're thinking, I've taken your asthma into account."

Yet, when Zack (Penny's ex-boyfriend) asks for a sperm donation from Leonard so that Zack and his wife can have a child, Sheldon comes in and makes reasons for himself being a better donor. One of the reasons is 'he doesn't have asthma'.

Am I mis-hearing this or does Sheldon have asthma or not?

I think you're mishearing, since Sheldon doesn't have asthma.

6 hours ago, MyNameIsThaneryst said:

Upon my re-run of the show, I've noticed an inconsistency.

In the first season, episode 3 'The Fuzzy Boots Corollary', Leonard arrives home with bags, singing. Sheldon says, "Oh, I hope that scratching post is for you." When Leonard pulls one out. Leonard replies with, "I know what you're thinking, I've taken your asthma into account."

Yet, when Zack (Penny's ex-boyfriend) asks for a sperm donation from Leonard so that Zack and his wife can have a child, Sheldon comes in and makes reasons for himself being a better donor. One of the reasons is 'he doesn't have asthma'.

Am I mis-hearing this or does Sheldon have asthma or not?

The writers goofed or were hoping we didn't notice but in the beginning of the show, Sheldon was to have asthma then they changed it to Leonard having asthma by the next season. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, shell said:

The writers goofed or were hoping we didn't notice but in the beginning of the show, Sheldon was to have asthma then they changed it to Leonard having asthma by the next season. 

Well, I sure didn't notice.

14 hours ago, chucky said:

I think you're mishearing, since Sheldon doesn't have asthma.

Found out from another user that Sheldon's asthma was retconned for Leonard to have it.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

Similar inconsistency, regarding Leonard's snoring.

From the Einstein Approximation (Season 3, Episode 14):-

Sheldon: Oh, by the way, I was watching you sleep for a moment, and I noticed that your snoring seems to be worse when you're on your back.
Penny: Leonard doesn't snore.
Sheldon: I wasn't talking to Leonard.

From The Septum Deviation (Season 8 Episode 09):-

Leonard: Because I can’t breathe. I snore, I get sinus infections.
Penny: Yeah, back off, he’s all mine.
Sheldon: But you don’t have a life-threatening condition. Why would you take the risk of surgery?
Amy: Sheldon, it’s a routine procedure, I’ve heard you complain about his snoring.
Sheldon: Yes, for the first five or six years, but I’ve gotten used to it. It helps me sleep. He’s like my mucus-powered white noise machine.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Similar inconsistency, regarding Leonard's snoring.

From the Einstein Approximation (Season 3, Episode 14):-

Sheldon: Oh, by the way, I was watching you sleep for a moment, and I noticed that your snoring seems to be worse when you're on your back.
Penny: Leonard doesn't snore.
Sheldon: I wasn't talking to Leonard.

From The Septum Deviation (Season 8 Episode 09):-

Leonard: Because I can’t breathe. I snore, I get sinus infections.
Penny: Yeah, back off, he’s all mine.
Sheldon: But you don’t have a life-threatening condition. Why would you take the risk of surgery?
Amy: Sheldon, it’s a routine procedure, I’ve heard you complain about his snoring.
Sheldon: Yes, for the first five or six years, but I’ve gotten used to it. It helps me sleep. He’s like my mucus-powered white noise machine.

Which goes to prove that the writers hardly ever gave thought to what they had written in earlier episodes.

• Like 2

Another one is Amy and ice skating.

From The Space Probe Disintegration (8.12):-

Amy Farrah Fowler : I can't go ice skating. I have unnaturally brittle ankles.

From The Separation Oscillation (9.2):-

Sheldon: You wore it the night we went ice skating, remember?
Amy: You mean the night that I went ice skating and you stood at the rail Googling the symptoms of hypothermia.

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

The show is full of inconsistencies, some more ridiculous than others, like Penny blaming Leonard for them living with Sheldon when a year before we see her convince Leonard to live with Sheldon...

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bfm said:

The show is full of inconsistencies, some more ridiculous than others, like Penny blaming Leonard for them living with Sheldon when a year before we see her convince Leonard to live with Sheldon...

As I said, the writers couldn't remember what was written in previous episodes.They gave Penny selective memory.

On 3/11/2020 at 8:34 AM, chucky said:

As I said, the writers couldn't remember what was written in previous episodes.They gave Penny selective memory.

I see Penny's selective memory as a consequence of her familial alcoholism, or perhaps the writing staff's. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Molecules said:

I see Penny's selective memory as a consequence of her familial alcoholism, or perhaps the writing staff's. 

Well, I disagree. But, what else is new. It's all about the writers.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1