The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stephen Hawking

Which of the character couples do you think would have really happened?

Using the season one characters as a baseline, I don't see any of them getting together in real life.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tensor said:

Using the season one characters as a baseline, I don't see any of them getting together in real life.  

I totally agree. Going by season 1 characterizations, I can't see any of the couples getting together.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

How about as the seasons progressed?

I don't see it happening period. Sheldon needed to be pushed by Raj and Howard by on-line dating with the threat of a dirty sock. Howard was introduced to Bernadette by Penny when she was dating Leonard. Leonard would worship Penny from a distance too scared to speak to her. Don't get me started on Raj's adventures in dating.  But, it's fun to think about.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 2

Howard and Bernadette for sure. Sheldon and Amy are likely. I have 2 friends that remind me of Sheldon and Amy, without the obvious far fetched-ness of Sheldon's character's insanity. 

And Howard and Bernadette arent abnormal for a couple at all. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 6:44 AM, Stephen Hawking said:

How about as the seasons progressed?

.   While Leonard fell in 'lust' with Penny right away, them living near each other, gave both of them time to get to know each other and become friends, and then get romantically involved.  Something like this happens quite a bit in real life.  

Amy and Sheldon, now, for real life, that is going to depend on if there is someone like Penny around for them.  Amy started off as a counterpart to Sheldon, behavior wise.  Neither one of them care for physicality in the relationship.   Then, Amy came out of her shell, due to Amy's friendship with Penny and Bernadette.   Without those two, I'm not sure there would have been a large enough change in Amy, to force the changes in Sheldon to the point where he would involve himself with coitus and get married.   So, without someone similar to Penny and Bernadette in the show,  for her, I'm not sure they would have gotten together in real life.  

I don't think Howard and Bernadette would have gotten together in real life.  Howard was pretty creepy when they met, and Bernadette seemed rather ditzy when she first started on the show.  I know they had her says she acted dumb,  to sooth Howard's ego, but why would someone like Bernadette even put up with it?   She is great looking, smart, educated and is making quite a living for herself .  I'm not sure she would have put up Howard's antics in real life and if she did make it to getting married, I'm not sure how long it would have lasted with the way Howard was as a husband the first couple of years after they got married.  

Of course, if things happened something like they did on the show, in real life, then all of them make some kind of sense.  

What do you think of this Stephen, and I'd be interested in your take on it?

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Tensor said:

.   While Leonard fell in 'lust' with Penny right away, them living near each other, gave both of them time to get to know each other and become friends, and then get romantically involved.  Something like this happens quite a bit in real life.  

Amy and Sheldon, now, for real life, that is going to depend on if there is someone like Penny around for them.  Amy started off as a counterpart to Sheldon, behavior wise.  Neither one of them care for physicality in the relationship.   Then, Amy came out of her shell, due to Amy's friendship with Penny and Bernadette.   Without those two, I'm not sure there would have been a large enough change in Amy, to force the changes in Sheldon to the point where he would involve himself with coitus and get married.   So, without someone similar to Penny and Bernadette in the show,  for her, I'm not sure they would have gotten together in real life.  

I don't think Howard and Bernadette would have gotten together in real life.  Howard was pretty creepy when they met, and Bernadette seemed rather ditzy when she first started on the show.  I know they had her says she acted dumb,  to sooth Howard's ego, but why would someone like Bernadette even put up with it?   She is great looking, smart, educated and is making quite a living for herself .  I'm not sure she would have put up Howard's antics in real life and if she did make it to getting married, I'm not sure how long it would have lasted with the way Howard was as a husband the first couple of years after they got married.  

Of course, if things happened something like they did on the show, in real life, then all of them make some kind of sense.  

What do you think of this Stephen, and I'd be interested in your take on it?

Interesting, very interesting indeed. Amy and Sheldon wouldn't have met without the threat of the dirty sock!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2020 at 7:07 PM, Stephen Hawking said:

Suppose the show was real life, rather than a sitcom.

Which couples do you think would have actually been a couple?

None of them!

That's the whole appeal of the show. The unpopular nerd wins the popular girl story has been a theme in dozens of movies and shows throughout time. Penny would never go for Leonard IRL. People enjoy it because it’s a fantasy. Penny could have found an attractive AND nice man easily over all those years. There are actually plenty of them out there. Contrary to what we see on Big Bang. They are missing onscreen for a reason.

Penny also managed to quickly lose all her normal friends and start friendships with Bernadette and Amy. Neither of which she would hang out with IRL.

The other relationships on the show are just built round Penny and Leonard for convenience and to give longevity to the franchise. The whole point was only really to match up Penny and Leonard and the rest were extras. They made a lot of people happy doing it so I guess it doesn’t matter in the long run.

Edited by Spaced_up
  • Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

On 3/24/2020 at 4:18 PM, Spaced_up said:

None of them!

That's the whole appeal of the show. The unpopular nerd wins the popular girl story has been a theme in dozens of movies and shows throughout time. Penny would never go for Leonard IRL. People enjoy it because it’s a fantasy. Penny could have found an attractive AND nice man easily over all those years. There are actually plenty of them out there. Contrary to what we see on Big Bang. They are missing onscreen for a reason.

I have to disagree.  As I've stated several times before, one of the reasons I was so in tune with Lenny, is simply because the early seasons (say through season six) closely matched what happened in my life.  I was very much like Leonard, through my teens and early 20s.  Wargaming, chess, science and science fiction,  were all there.  About the only thing that wasn't the same, was video gaming, simply because it didn't exist at the time.  I was taking  programming class, at the local college, while in high school.  Women were something I was not comfortable  with.  I found one line of Penny's extremely pertinent.  "Leonard would look at the ceiling or down at his shoes."   That was a good example of me with women in my teens and early 20s.  

Then I met my wife through friends who lived next to her. We hung out with the gang, became friends, started dating, broke up, dated others and got back together.   If we had simply met somewhere, or I had finally become able to ask her out without knowing her, I'm not sure we would be together.  I know Lenny's chafe at the idea that he wore her down, (I hate it myself, because there was a lot more to it than that).  But, I could see "wearing her down" as a shorthand of her simply being around him a lot, which enable them to get to know each other better,   

Penny also managed to quickly lose all her normal friends and start friendships with Bernadette and Amy. Neither of which she would hang out with IRL.

Her losing her friends did (and does) bother me a bit.   I'm not sure IRL, that she would have abandoned her other friends, even if she did get with Leonard. I know my wife didn't lose her friends, well, until I went into the Air Force and we left our town.  

The other relationships on the show are just built round Penny and Leonard for convenience and to give longevity to the franchise. The whole point was only really to match up Penny and Leonard and the rest were extras. They made a lot of people happy doing it so I guess it doesn’t matter in the long run.

Oh, I agree with this.  But, I think they did it rather well, (if a bit too fast for me, in the case of Howard and Bernie.

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Tensor said:

I have to disagree.  As I've stated several times before, one of the reasons I was so in tune with Lenny, is simply because the early seasons (say through season six) closely matched what happened in my life.  I was very much like Leonard, through my teens and early 20s.  Wargaming, chess, science and science fiction,  were all there.  About the only thing that wasn't the same, was video gaming, simply because it didn't exist at the time.  I was taking  programming class, at the local college, while in high school.  Women were something I was not comfortable  with.  I found one line of Penny's extremely pertinent.  "Leonard would look at the ceiling or down at his shoes."   That was a good example of me with women in my teens and early 20s.  

Then I met my wife through friends who lived next to her. We hung out with the gang, became friends, started dating, broke up, dated others and got back together.   If we had simply met somewhere, or I had finally become able to ask her out without knowing her, I'm not sure we would be together.  I know Lenny's chafe at the idea that he wore her down, (I hate it myself, because there was a lot more to it than that).  But, I could see "wearing her down" as a shorthand of her simply being around him a lot, which enable them to get to know each other better,   

Her losing her friends did (and does) bother me a bit.   I'm not sure IRL, that she would have abandoned her other friends, even if she did get with Leonard. I know my wife didn't lose her friends, well, until I went into the Air Force and we left our town.  

Oh, I agree with this.  But, I think they did it rather well, (if a bit too fast for me, in the case of Howard and Bernie.

I mostly agree. Lenny could have gotten together due to their proximity but Howard and Bernadette, not without Penny's help and Shamy, not without Howard and Raj and the threat of the dirty sock.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tensor said:

Didn't JG admit that they first wanted him for the role of Sheldon but when he read the script he felt he wanted the Leonard role as it was hinted that there would eventually be a romantic relationship with his neighbor. So, this was sort of meant to be the core couple of the show and I also recall Kaley saying that her dream from the first episodes was that Penny and Leonard would wind up married. And I have to add that after meeting Kaley JG knew he made the right choice.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

On 3/26/2020 at 9:49 AM, Mario D. said:

Didn't JG admit that they first wanted him for the role of Sheldon, but when he read the script he felt he wanted the Leonard role.

Lorre sent Johnny about 5 or so pages, asking him what he thought of being Sheldon, but Johnny felt he was more suited to Leonard (remember Leonard is similar to David, his character from Roseanne).

as it was hinted that there would eventually be a romantic relationship with his neighbor.

In the original script, there was no neighbor.  There was a woman (Katie), basically living on the street who the two guys find crying on the curb, and invite into their home.   There was also a friend, and coworker, of both of them , Gilda, (who had some similar traits to Leslie and who supposedly was dating Leonard, but had sex with Sheldon).   It wasn't until the second pilot that Penny showed up (along with the writers using Kaley's personality in writing Penny).  It was then that Leonard's attraction to Penny surfaced in the writing. 

So, this was sort of meant to be the core couple of the show and I also recall Kaley saying that her dream from the first episodes was that Penny and Leonard would wind up married. And I have to add that after meeting Kaley JG knew he made the right choice.

Yeah, he mentioned he didn't realize how great working on the show would be, until he got the new script, and found out they cast Kaley.   Funny part, for me, was Kaley talking about finishing the pilot shoot, and how her and someone were involved in a lot of kissing.  Considering her saying her and Johnny started dating about three weeks after shooting the pilot, I have a feeling I know who that someone was.                                            

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

Funny part, for me, was Kaley talking about finishing the pilot shoot, and how her and someone were involved in a lot of kissing.  Considering her saying her and Johnny started dating about three weeks after shooting the pilot, I have a feeling I know who that someone was.

Yeah, I think we all have a feeling who that someone was.   😊

I think we saw that in the Anything Can Happen Reccurance. I think Penny would of ended up with Zack. The shows characterisation establishes this. Of course you could argue Lenny were the most realistically written couple of the series. 

3 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

I think we saw that in the *Anything Can Happen Reccurance. I think Penny would of ended up with Zack. 

*Season 7 Episode 11, The Cooper Extraction.   The Anything Can Happen Recurrence, dealt with Amy and Bernadette wanting some time away from Sheldon and Howard.  Also Penny because she was complaining about the set of her movie.  Leonard got caught up in this when it became obvious that he agreed about a Penny complaining.  Penny and Sheldon went to dinner, then a psychic. 

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Tensor said:

Lorre sent Johnny about 5 or so pages, asking him what he thought of being Sheldon, but Johnny felt he was more suited to Leonard (remember Leonard is similar to David, his character from Roseanne).

In the original script, there was no neighbor.  There was a woman (Katie), basically living on the street who the two guys find crying on the curb, and invite into their home.   There was also a friend, and coworker, of both of them , Gilda, (who had some similar traits to Leslie and who supposedly was dating Leonard, but had sex with Sheldon).   It wasn't until the second pilot that Penny showed up (along with the writers using Kaley's personality in writing Penny).  It was then that Leonard's attraction to Penny surfaced in the writing. 

Yeah, he mentioned he didn't realize how great working on the show would be, until he got the new script, and found out they cast Kaley.   Funny part, for me, was Kaley talking about finishing the pilot shoot, and how her and someone were involved in a lot of kissing.  Considering her saying her and Johnny started dating about three weeks after shooting the pilot, I have a feeling I know who that someone was.                                            

So, I guess some things are meant to be...…….until they aren't. But their relationship and love & respect for each other has lasted until today!

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Tensor said:

*Season 7 Episode 11, The Cooper Extraction.   The Anything Can Happen Recurrence, dealt with Amy and Bernadette wanting some time away from Sheldon and Howard.  Also Penny because she was complaining about the set of her movie.  Leonard got caught up in this when it became obvious that he agreed about a Penny complaining.  Penny and Sheldon went to dinner, then a psychic. 

My bad. But yeah I agree based on the built in characterisation. I agree none of the couples would of ended up together. Without Sheldon, Leonard would of never meet Penny. Without Leonard, the social nucleus. Sheldon would of never spoken to Penny. Seeing we all know the massive impact Penny had on Leonard and Sheldon socially. Sheldon would of never meet Amy. So yeah I see Penny getting back with Kurt, or Zac. 

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

On 3/26/2020 at 4:09 AM, Tensor said:

(if a bit too fast for me, in the case of Howard and Bernie).

Certainly not too fast, in the case of Sheldon and Amy. 😁

On 3/23/2020 at 2:36 PM, Nhisso said:

Howard and Bernadette for sure. Sheldon and Amy are likely. I have 2 friends that remind me of Sheldon and Amy, without the obvious far fetched-ness of Sheldon's character's insanity. 

And Howard and Bernadette arent abnormal for a couple at all. 

Without Penny to introduce Howard and Bernadette, they wouldn't be together. Without Howard/Raj's interference and "The dirty sock", Shamy isn't happening either.

14 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

My bad. But yeah I agree based on the built in characterisation. I agree none of the couples would of ended up together. Without Sheldon, Leonard would of never meet Penny. Without Leonard, the social nucleus. Sheldon would of never spoken to Penny. Seeing we all know the massive impact Penny had on Leonard and Sheldon socially. Sheldon would of never meet Amy. So yeah I see Penny getting back with Kurt, or Zac. 

Ask almost anybody IRL how they met their spouse and see how often it turns out to be via someone else, or being invited to a gathering where that sort of thing happens. Penny is the facilitator in TBBT.

And, in TBBT as IRL, there's always a 'might not have been'.  Had Bernadette been able to afford her PhD studies without a paying job, she wouldn't have met any of them. Had Amy's mother not realised she'd gone too far in keeping Amy sheltered from the world, Amy'd never have been on a site looking for an annual date. Had Penny not broken up with Kurt, she'd never have known her neighbours and found out that brainy people appealed to her.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

Ask almost anybody IRL how they met their spouse and see how often it turns out to be via someone else, or being invited to a gathering where that sort of thing happens. Penny is the facilitator in TBBT.

And, in TBBT as IRL, there's always a 'might not have been'.  Had Bernadette been able to afford her PhD studies without a paying job, she wouldn't have met any of them. Had Amy's mother not realised she'd gone too far in keeping Amy sheltered from the world, Amy'd never have been on a site looking for an annual date. Had Penny not broken up with Kurt, she'd never have known her neighbours and found out that brainy people appealed to her.

Those were some nice "had or had not" questions.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, chucky said:

Without Penny to introduce Howard and Bernadette, they wouldn't be together. Without Howard/Raj's interference and "The dirty sock", Shamy isn't happening either.

Yeah if anything Shamy was the least likeliest. Without Howard and Raj. Seeing they put his data into a dating algorithm. So it was a 0.1% probability,  Sheldon would of ever meet Amy. It’s a case of “had or had nots”. Leonard and Sheldon would of most likely remained in their work. Without Penny being the facilitator to expand their social life. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1