The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sherminator

The danger signs sighted!

there are certain danger signs that tell when a sitcom is starting to go downhill. While going through the season 3 of BBT, I have spotted two, to whit:

1.Drunkenness

-When writers are out of ideas, what they do? They say:

-hey, let's get some of the characters drunk, and then make fool of themselves! That will cover at least half of the episode!'

Indeed, drunkenness is the cheapest kind of humour you can put into a sitcom. When there starts to be a lot of it, like on the season 3, it is a sure sign the writers are seriously getting out of workable ideas for the show.

2.Guest stars

-it has been noted that closer a show is to being scrapped, more guest stars it will have. Look at friends, for example. In the last seasons, almost every episode had a guest star. Granted, BBT has only few quest stars on season 3, but the number seems to be steadily rising. And that is indeed a bad sign, believe you me.

so?

having observed these danger signs, my prediction is, that the series will end sooner that any could have anticipated. I'm betting season 5 will be the final season, if they manage to drag it that far.

There is also situations when a show becomes popular many actors want to appear on the show. So increasing guest stars can also mean the show is thriving.

TBBT has not jumped the Shark yet.

there are certain danger signs that tell when a sitcom is starting to go downhill. While going through the season 3 of BBT, I have spotted two, to whit:

1.Drunkenness

-When writers are out of ideas, what they do? They say:

-hey, let's get some of the characters drunk, and then make fool of themselves! That will cover at least half of the episode!'

Indeed, drunkenness is the cheapest kind of humour you can put into a sitcom. When there starts to be a lot of it, like on the season 3, it is a sure sign the writers are seriously getting out of workable ideas for the show.

2.Guest stars

-it has been noted that closer a show is to being scrapped, more guest stars it will have. Look at friends, for example. In the last seasons, almost every episode had a guest star. Granted, BBT has only few quest stars on season 3, but the number seems to be steadily rising. And that is indeed a bad sign, believe you me.

so?

having observed these danger signs, my prediction is, that the series will end sooner that any could have anticipated. I'm betting season 5 will be the final season, if they manage to drag it that far.

Yeah... hmm... no. Just no.

Besides, how can't people enjoy Wil Wheaton cunningly beating up Sheldon whenever they are together? Or see Katee Sackhoff as Howard's fantasy? :)

As for the ''drunk'' thing, it was separated pretty evenly between all episode. The only one who get drunk on a frequent basis is Raj, and it's actually a plot device to overcome his shyness. Sheldon got drunk twice and, surprise, one of them was during the first season. I don't think Howard ever drank anything... oh, wait, there was this Gothowitz episode where he drank vodka and cranberry juice... But I think that's about it. Leonard and Penny, they got drunk a few times, 3 or 4 I'd say, pretty evenly distributed between seasons.

So in summary... no.

Not to mention the fart jokes.

Seriously, the biggest danger is that the show will turn into repeats of "Sheldon Acts Crazy While Everyone Else Makes Snide Comments Or Treats Him Like Their Child" week after week. Last season seriously fell into that trap over and over, and last Thursday's episode went into that same territory. The upcoming episode for this week doesn't bode well.

The season opener was brilliant, so it's clear the writers haven't lost it yet. But I do worry.

Steve

The Wiki

Seriously, the biggest danger is that the show will turn into repeats of "Sheldon Acts Crazy While Everyone Else Makes Snide Comments Or Treats Him Like Their Child" week after week. Last season seriously fell into that trap over and over, and last Thursday's episode went into that same territory. The upcoming episode for this week doesn't bode well.

Steve

The Wiki

I agree with you I m afraid that the show become into Sheldon's show, with all people reacting to Sheldon's Madness.

Not to mention the fart jokes.

The season opener was brilliant, so it's clear the writers haven't lost it yet. But I do worry.

Steve

The Wiki

I do agree that the biggest danger is TBBT turning into the Sheldon Show. The other thing I noticed is that Leonard's snide and snarky comments seem to be more mean spirited and that isn't something I want to see. If the show gets nasty and mean spirited toward any of the characters I will not enjoy it. This last episode did seem to go that way.

I think you can make wisecracks and poke fun at others without it getting too mean spirited. These people are all supposed to be friends and I think that aspect also does need to be shown.

The only thing I agree with here is the problem of the show being too Sheldon-centered! He's a great character, sure, very funny, but so is the rest of the cast!

But I disagree that Leonard's comments were mean-spirited... Well, maybe slightly but not to the point of unfunnyness. I actually laugh out to the ''that's how I'm gonna make it look like'' joke, when Sheldon said he was most likely to die in an accident! And that scene was, I think, the only one in the episode where Leonard could have been considered ''mean-spirited''.

So, yeah, anyway, the only problem: Too much Sheldon-centric episodes, not enought of the rest of the gang! Even next episodes seems Sheldon-centered, too (althought it also implies Amy, so it should be interesting! :p ).

We want some Raj being drunk and charmy! Or even not drunk and charmy! :p We want Howard messing up with girls! We want the group, as a whole, to do nerdy stuff! And, yes, we also want Sheldon to just continue to be Sheldon! That's PART of the package, it's just not the whole package! :)

I also have that worry that the show will turn sheldon-centered, as I wrote in thread of the second episode I really start to get bored with sheldon and his childish antics. If they are trying to paint him as John Nash as being seclusive but brilliant then fine but they are stepping into the child behavior all too often, the soft kitty ending was like the last drop of water in a full glass where for me wasn't funny at all, even penny braking the robot would have been funnier and more penny like as to not tolerate childish behavior for a grown man or a young adult.

The rest of the cast behaves in their nerdy geeky sort of way but they are centered according to their age in a young adult mature mentality except for the genius sheldon, personally I don't find it funny and I end up laughing more at the snide comments of the rest of the cast than sheldon's but that's just my personal view. I do however hope and have faith that they know what they are doing and that it's still just the third episode of the season so there maybe more to come in a more balanced way for the cast.

one more danger sign that I just spotted:

men forced to dress up as women!

It has happened in almost every sitcom I have seen. When the writers run out of ideas, they decide to do the old gender bender act, and dress up one or more of the male characters into ladies clothing.

In BBT, the cast were dressed up as female superheroines.

Danger! Danger!

one more danger sign that I just spotted:

men forced to dress up as women!

It has happened in almost every sitcom I have seen. When the writers run out of ideas, they decide to do the old gender bender act, and dress up one or more of the male characters into ladies clothing.

In BBT, the cast were dressed up as female superheroines.

Danger! Danger!

I disagree. That bit was very funny and it was brief and done very well and in context of them having lost the bowling match.

I disagree. That bit was very funny and it was brief and done very well and in context of them having lost the bowling match.

ah.. you must be of another generation, if you like the 'dressed up as females' humour.

Or maybe you just went to boarding school, like eton, when you were a wee lad!:icon_eek:

-what I have heard, female impersonations are still a rage on these elite schools.

ah.. you must be of another generation, if you like the 'dressed up as females' humour.

Or maybe you just went to boarding school, like eton, when you were a wee lad!:icon_eek:

-what I have heard, female impersonations are still a rage on these elite schools.

I am pushing 50 and I grew up watching Benny Hill reruns from Britain in the 70s. So a bit of drag humor every now and then isn't bad.

The only thing I agree with here is the problem of the show being too Sheldon-centered! He's a great character, sure, very funny, but so is the rest of the cast!

But I disagree that Leonard's comments were mean-spirited... Well, maybe slightly but not to the point of unfunnyness. I actually laugh out to the ''that's how I'm gonna make it look like'' joke, when Sheldon said he was most likely to die in an accident! And that scene was, I think, the only one in the episode where Leonard could have been considered ''mean-spirited''.

So, yeah, anyway, the only problem: Too much Sheldon-centric episodes, not enought of the rest of the gang! Even next episodes seems Sheldon-centered, too (althought it also implies Amy, so it should be interesting! :p ).

We want some Raj being drunk and charmy! Or even not drunk and charmy! :p We want Howard messing up with girls! We want the group, as a whole, to do nerdy stuff! And, yes, we also want Sheldon to just continue to be Sheldon! That's PART of the package, it's just not the whole package! :)

I completely agree with Irvine, especially now that I have watched the first two episodes of season 4. Leonard is not being mean, he is just being Leonard, a perfect balance to Sheldon and his quirkiness. Yes, I also fear that he whole show will start to build around Sheldon, but that is not yet apparent, and the point is that Sheldon is Sheldon, and he will always have his freaky ideas. The only thing the authors have to think about is balance between the characters. And for me, they are keeping it fine for now :)

It's been kind of The Sheldon Cooper show as many of you have mentioned already, but in this weeks episode i thought they all shined, pure awesomness.

I completely agree. This was definitely a good episode and a step back in the right direction for the show.

Steve

The Wiki