The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
aeverett

Amy's Mom

Posted (edited)

I've recently been considering Mrs. Fowler and the type of woman she was, but can't get a handle on her.  We see her in 3 episodes, but hear of her in relation to Amy's childhood a lot more.  Yet we also know that Amy is a bit unreliable in her discussions of her mother, due to the fact that she lied to both Sheldon and her mom to get out visiting her in Season 12.   

So, what do you all think is the deal with Mrs. Fowler?  We know she prevented Amy from having any friends or a social life during her childhood, yet somehow expected her to date regularly once she'd grown up.  We've been told that she locked Amy in a 'sin closet' for bad thoughts and behaviors, but that she wasn't shown to be particularly religious in the three episodes she did appear in, and neither does any of Amy's other family members in her mentionings of them.   Seriously, I'm confused.  What are your takes on Mrs. Fowler?

Edited by aeverett
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, aeverett said:

Yet we also know that Amy is a bit unreliable in her discussions of her mother, due to the fact that she lied to both Sheldon and her mom to get out visiting her in Season 12.

Amy also lied to her mom, to stop her from pestering her about dating.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Amy also lied to her mom, to stop her from pestering her about dating.

True.  I almost forgot that, which casts more suspicion on Amy's upbringing.  Was her mother just strict and overbearingly overprotective, or did it reach the level of psychological and emotional abuse?  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, aeverett said:

Was her mother just strict and overbearingly overprotective, or did it reach the level of psychological and emotional abuse?

Personnally, I think that's a good discription of Amy's mother's parenting style and probably marraige style as well.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 2

Amy lied to her mother about Sheldon in order to avoid going round for dinner. 

5 hours ago, chucky said:

Personnally, I think that's a good discription of Amy's mother's parenting style and probably marraige style as well.

Amy's mother seems to have realised she'd been too protective when it dawned on her that Amy wasn't dating. Whether Amy had needed protecting when young in the light of an apparent personality disorder, will never be revealed now. Nor will we know the truth or otherwise of Amy's stories : I can't see a Young Amy series on the cards.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Amy lied to her mother about Sheldon in order to avoid going round for dinner. 

Amy's mother seems to have realised she'd been too protective when it dawned on her that Amy wasn't dating. Whether Amy had needed protecting when young in the light of an apparent personality disorder, will never be revealed now. Nor will we know the truth or otherwise of Amy's stories : I can't see a Young Amy series on the cards.

I think we got a good look at Amy's mother's parenting and marriage reactions in the Wedding episode and Honeymoon episide. We don't need Amy's stories, although we do have some of those as well. I also do not see a Young Amy Series.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I can't see a Young Amy series on the cards.

8 hours ago, chucky said:

I also do not see a Young Amy Series.

Could be fun though.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Could be fun though.

I don't think so.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Could be fun though.

I disagree.  Young Amy would be a sad series.  We saw what Amy's life would have been like had she not met Sheldon and the gang, in 'The Cooper Extraction'.  An entire show of birthday cupcakes with the protagonists tears in the icing would be the best we could get.  Amy's life was tragic before she starts hanging out with Sheldon, which I believe is why she puts up with so much from him.  As difficult as Sheldon might be, he's 1000 times better than what she had before.  In Amy's eyes, he's the neurotic, but handsome, white knight that rescued her from a life of misery.   That's why, when he says or does something loving and sweet, she effectively worships him.  She's never had it so good, and can't believe she can.

Edited by aeverett
  • Like 3

On 5/3/2020 at 5:56 PM, aeverett said:

... did it reach the level of psychological and emotional abuse?  

A sort of Beverly lite?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

A sort of Beverly lite?  

Beverly was a witch from the east, Amy's mom was a plain ogre from the west.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 11:58 PM, Tensor said:

A sort of Beverly lite?  

I'm not sure Beverly's behavior rose to the level of abuse, although possibly some form of neglect.  Beverly merely didn't give Lenard the validation he desired.  Amy's mom supposedly locked her in closets and forbid her from having friends or engaging in social activities.  Beverly was certainly cold and clinical, but her parenting created far less damage in her offspring.   Of course, this assumes Amy's stories over the years were truthful.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, aeverett said:

I'm not sure Beverly's behavior rose to the level of abuse

Beverly was more a mental and uncaring abuse. That can be just as harsh as Amy's mom's style of abuse.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 7:47 AM, chucky said:

Beverly was more a mental and uncaring abuse. That can be just as harsh as Amy's mom's style of abuse.

Again, I don't necessarily see it as abuse so much as being out of sync with her son.  He needed a more affectionate mother and that wasn't who Beverly was.  Amy's mom sought to impose her will upon her daughter by any means necessarily and to keep her ignorant of the world in ways that brought harm to Amy, in order to maintain that absolute control.  That is far worse.  Beverly just didn't know how to parent Lenard right, and considering her methods had worked wonders for her other two kids, she had ever reason to believe that Lenard would flourish under her system in the end.  As far as we know about Mrs. Fowler, Amy's obedience was the goal for Mrs. Fowler, not her child's healthy development.  Yes, both had negative outcomes, but Lenard was hurt far less than Amy in the long run.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, aeverett said:

Again, I don't necessarily see it as abuse so much as being out of sync with her son.  He needed a more affectionate mother and that wasn't who Beverly was.  Amy's mom sought to impose her will upon her daughter by any means necessarily and to keep her ignorant of the world in ways that brought harm to Amy, in order to maintain that absolute control.  That is far worse.  Beverly just didn't know how to parent Lenard right, and considering her methods had worked wonders for her other two kids, she had ever reason to believe that Lenard would flourish under her system in the end.  As far as we know about Mrs. Fowler, Amy's obedience was the goal for Mrs. Fowler, not her child's healthy development.  Yes, both had negative outcomes, but Lenard was hurt far less than Amy in the long run.

Sorry, I disagree. Beverly's abusive treatment of Leonard was by choice and no other reason. You can see that in how she treated Sheldon. She always treated him with niceness but her son was treated with disdane. She could have treated her son better, but, chose not to show him any motherly love or affection. Again, it was her choice! Amy's mother's treatment of Amy and her husband speaks for itself. In my opinion both women's treatment of their family are undefendable.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2020 at 10:43 PM, joyceraye said:

I can't see a Young Amy series on the cards.

Agreed, but then again like "YS", the writers would probably change things we know happened. For example, Amy being sent to "The Sin Closet".

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, chucky said:

Agreed, but then again like "YS", the writers would probably change things we know happened. For example, Amy being sent to "The Sin Closet".

Some things in YS do look different from what Sheldon related or they're shown from a different persepective. Just because Sheldon when he was grown up said they happened doesn't mean we have to take all his accounts as gospel. The same might  go for Amy. She could have put a spin on some of her tales for effect. We did see an overbearing side of Amy's mother, but then again Sheldon found her 'a delight'.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Some things in YS do look different from what Sheldon related or they're shown from a different persepective. Just because Sheldon when he was grown up said they happened doesn't mean we have to take all his accounts as gospel. The same might  go for Amy. She could have put a spin on some of her tales for effect. We did see an overbearing side of Amy's mother, but then again Sheldon found her 'a delight'.

Sorry, I'll take TBBT over a show I don't watch.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chucky said:

Sorry, I'll take TBBT over a show I don't watch.

I can see that. Petsonally,  I've actually liked both from the beginning and YS is such a different type of show  from TBBT that  I don't rank them in order of each other. YS  isn't all that funny, or at least comedy doesn't seem to be its primary purpose. Now TBBT is over, I like to hear Jim Parsons' narration as adult Sheldon and his  comments about the future beyond TBBT S12. Maybe next year he'll say something about his mother-in-law. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I can see that. Petsonally,  I've actually liked both from the beginning and YS is such a different type of show  from TBBT that  I don't rank them in order of each other. YS  isn't all that funny, or at least comedy doesn't seem to be its primary purpose. Now TBBT is over, I like to hear Jim Parsons' narration as adult Sheldon and his  comments about the future beyond TBBT S12. Maybe next year he'll say something about his mother-in-law. 

Yeah, but from what I've told, since I've only seen commercials, there are glaringly obvious differences between "YS" and what Sheldon related about his childhood on TBBT. That in itself is reason enough not to watch. But then again a no good cheating drunkard father is not a good thing to have on TV. If I watched "YS", I would be concentrating only on the differences.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

There are no glaring differences. George's drinking is increasing enough for others to mention it. Sheldon's parents are already quarelling more. George still has three more years to live, so there's time for him to turn into a neanderthal. When he starts cheating on Mary we don't yet know, unless it was ito have been in the unfinished episode that should have concluded season 3. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

There are no glaring differences. George's drinking is increasing enough for others to mention it. Sheldon's parents are already quarelling more. George still has three more years to live, so there's time for him to turn into a neanderthal. When he starts cheating on Mary we don't yet know, unless it was ito have been in the unfinished episode that should have concluded season 3. 

Spoken like a true fan. I will not waste my time with that show. I hope you enjoy watching the show. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, chucky said:

Spoken like a true fan. I will not waste my time with that show. I hope you enjoy watching the show. 

I thought perhaps you wouldn't but there may be other TBBT fans who want some reassurance before giving YS a try

Edited by joyceraye
finding glasses that can spell.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I thought perhaps you wouldn't but there may be other TBBT fans who want some reassurance before giving YS a try

There are some TBBT fans that watch it.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1