USA vs British sitcoms

In Croatian forums we always have argument British vs US humor.

I prefer US,because it's more modern, less "ugly"(i mean the whole way of the humor),and British glory is based of old glory,in the 77' and 80'ths...

Also, hilarious humor of Malcolm in the Middle, Big Bang Theroy and other modern sitcoms is not seen in British ones, at least by my opinion.

What is your opinion?

• Like 1

First, greetings to another Croatian forum member :) !

I do partly agree with your point that British glory is based on older shows, but I have to say that they have some very good newer shows - I particularly like the IT Crowd. Also, British humor can be an acquired taste, but once it gets under your skin, it stays there forever :).

But if possible, I would like to choose both British AND US humor - each one is special in their own perfect way :D !

Well, I live in the UK so I see more of our sitcoms. I prefer ours, to be honest, only because I can relate to the jokes as they pretty much skin our Goverment alive etc.

Some of our sitcoms over here aren't seen elsewhere but they really should:

The Inbetweeners.

Ideal.

Him & Her.

Gavin & Stacey.

etc.

Of course, the series' over here are much shorter than in the US with each series being about 6/7/8 episodes long, which is... :(

But, I still love US sitcoms, such as TBBT (my top-rated sitcom) and F.R.I.E.N.D.S (which is quite old by now.)

So... it's a hard one but since I'm Welsh I've gotta go for the UK. :)

• 1 month later...

British is best for me.

Brit series tend to have deeper, multilevel characters on them, while in USA the characters are quite shallow lot. As they are in BBT...

also, there is deeper sense of culture in the backraound of british comedies, for example monthy python, that is standing upon the great history of Britain.

-and while USA has a history too, their comedies tend not to build upon it, being very contemporary on their approach.

mind you, the latest brit comedies have gotten nearer in their USA counterparts in shallowness of character and script. Pint Please is one good example of this alarming tendency...

• 5 weeks later...

here's a funny retort I heard about this subject once:

In usa, comedy actors have been to classes. In england, comedy actors have an Education (yes, with a capital E).

I agree, especially if you look at monthy pyton group, whom all went to harward or something! Mind you, these days the education level in british comedy actors is a lot lower. Or so I have heard.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm British and I don't like a lot of British sitcoms (well that applies to newer, more recent series that is). My favourites are Fawlty Towers and The Brittas Empire, Father Ted and any others I watch tend to be the "older ones" also. As for USA sitcoms, apart from TBBT (of course!) I love Frasier and still watch it a lot.

• 1 month later...

Well I'm British and I don't like a lot of British sitcoms (well that applies to newer, more recent series that is). My favourites are Fawlty Towers and The Brittas Empire, Father Ted and any others I watch tend to be the "older ones" also. As for USA sitcoms, apart from TBBT (of course!) I love Frasier and still watch it a lot.

I have recently begun watching "As Time Goes By" staring Judi Dench and Geoffry Palmer. I really love that show and I can't get enough of it. I have been borrowing the series from my local library and watching it on PBS each Saturday night. What a great show!

• 2 months later...

I usually prefer British humour. It's wittier and darker. Take The Office, for instance. It's one of my fave British sitcoms ever. I once tried watching the US version, but it felt like a dumbed-down version to appeal to wider audience.

BBT is an exception, but I really hope they won't pander to the ratings. From what I'm reading here it seems that some people think it's already happening :( I'm still in season 3 so cantreally say.

• 2 months later...

@Nagar: have you ever seen the original training film John Cleese did that lead to the Fawlty Towers series?

It was originally a training film for hotel managers to show how NOT to treat the customers. John Cleese and then wife Connie Booth fleshed it out into a tv series.

Don't know if the film is on YouTube. I saw it as part of a Monty Python special at the cinemas years ago.

I usually prefer British humour. It's wittier and darker. Take The Office, for instance. It's one of my fave British sitcoms ever. I once tried watching the US version, but it felt like a dumbed-down version to appeal to wider audience.

BBT is an exception, but I really hope they won't pander to the ratings. From what I'm reading here it seems that some people think it's already happening :( I'm still in season 3 so cantreally say.

COuldn't have said it better myself. These are my thoughts exactly.

Even Benny Hill had more depth than modern day U.S. sitcoms.

I loved Black Adder, Mr Bean, Monty Python, Goon Squad, Fawlty Towers, Father Ted, Young ones and my favorite IT Crowd

• 2 weeks later...

I find British comedy more amusing, but there are some American shows that I have really enjoyed through the years. I enjoy comedies that are satirical and require brain power to get the jokes. American comedy aside from a select few shows is basically different faces in different places with the same tired jokes.

I am a BIG fan of pretty much all comedy. I have found in my experience that British comedy takes a little longer to get in to like Mighty Boosh and Peep Show where as American comedy is probably what i would call easy watching like My Name is Earl and F.R.I.E.N.D.S. I just love laughing and making people laugh :D

It did Netmouse and much like TBBT, I think 24 episodes per season is WAY too much, but once they hit 100..syndication and BIG bucks.

That is the biggest motivatior for TV producers and writers

The U.S. office Seasons 1 and 2 classics! Season 3...very good...past that ugh!