So sad it's come to this.

Stephen Hawking

It's like Memorial Day an Veterans Day here. It used to be greatly celebrated. Sadly, now to a lot of people, it's a day off and for going shopping for discount sales. As a proud veteran, my family always celebrate both holidays by putting flags and flowers on the graves of veterans and having cookouts as a family remembering family members, living and dead, that served to help protect our country. 

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Here, it's not that people no longer bother (last year's was massive), but that Covid-19 has kept most people away.

Ya'll are lucky. Here it's just another day off for shopping, as I said. Don't get me wrong, some still celebrate, just not as many. We still see the President have the wreath placed at the tombs of the unknowns. So that is something that continues.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Here, it's not that people no longer bother (last year's was massive), but that Covid-19 has kept most people away.

Our Parish Church had a service on Zoom with just the vicar and a bloke from the Royal British Legion at the local war memorial. He read the poems and played the bugle. It finished in time to watch the ceremonies on TV from The Cenotaph. I was impressed by the standard of the orgnisation of the event. But for the absence of the march-past and the condensed number of the Commonwealth, Irish and other overseas representatives, it was hard to tell the difference from any other year. One thing annoyed me - the referring to the Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opoosition ( who's usually on state occasions referred to by his or her official title ) as 'The leader of the Labour party'. I'm a bit of a Sheldon when it comes to that sort of thing.

4 hours ago, chucky said:

Ya'll are lucky. Here it's just another ay off for shopping, as I said. Don't get me wrong, some still celebrate, just not as many. We still see the President have the wreath placed at the tombs of the unknowns. So that is something that continues.

For us the 11th is not a holiday. It's an ordinary working and school day with some stopping at 11 am for two minutes' silence and then carying on as usual. The nearest Sunday is Remembrance Sunday which is marked by ceremonial events up and down the country. There are a few places called 'The Fortunate Villages' which do not have a War Memorial because they've never needed one.

12 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Our Parish Church had a service on Zoom with just the vicar and a bloke from the Royal British Legion at the local war memorial. He read the poems and played the bugle. It finished in time to watch the ceremonies on TV from The Cenotaph. I was impressed by the standard of the orgnisation of the event. But for the absence of the march-past and the condensed number of the Commonwealth, Irish and other overseas representatives, it was hard to tell the difference from any other year. One thing annoyed me - the referring to the Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opoosition ( who's usually on state occasions referred to by his or her official title ) as 'The leader of the Labour party'. I'm a bit of a Sheldon when it comes to that sort of thing.

For us the 11th is not a holiday. It's an ordinary working and school day with some stopping at 11 am for two minutes' silence and then carying on as usual. The nearest Sunday is Remembrance Sunday which is marked by ceremonial events up and down the country. There are a few places called 'The Fortunate Villages' which do not have a War Memorial because they've never needed one.

Veterans Day is November 11th. It's a National Holiday where we remember all Veterans, both alive and dead, with their service. When I was growing up, there were parades and people placed flowers and flags on the graves of Veterans. It was a good time. Now, even though it's still a holiday, there's not so much celebrating.

• Like 1