The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

4.08 The 21-Second Excitation (Nov. 11)

"The 21-Second Excitation" - While the guys camp in line for a screening, Penny and Bernadette invite Amy to her first slumber party, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, Nov. 11 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Wil Wheaton ("Star Trek: The Next Generation") returns to the series, guest starring as himself.

Episode Guide | Wiki

This episode was so appallingly horrid that I almost swore off the program. Sheldon stealing??? Absurd! His ethical code would never permit him to do such a vile thing. Fortunately, last night's episode (The Boyfriend Complexity) restored my interest in the program.

IMHO, the show needs to get back to its sci-fi, comic book, geek/nerd roots, and quickly. More comic books, science, and mathematics, please!!

This episode was so appallingly horrid that I almost swore off the program. Sheldon stealing??? Absurd! His ethical code would never permit him to do such a vile thing. Fortunately, last night's episode (The Boyfriend Complexity) restored my interest in the program.

IMHO, the show needs to get back to its sci-fi, comic book, geek/nerd roots, and quickly. More comic books, science, and mathematics, please!!

I thought it was an average episode. But the two points that bothered me were Sheldon stealing...and I agree it seems very out of character and Amy going into Penny's room for a lesbian experience was also out of character (although it was both a little bit funny and disturbing).

I also agree with you that they need to return to sci-fi, comic book, geek/nerd roots, and quickly.

These guys are geniuses in their fields and I want to see more of that it was a big draw for me liking the show.

I thought it was an average episode. But the two points that bothered me were Sheldon stealing...and I agree it seems very out of character and Amy going into Penny's room for a lesbian experience was also out of character (although it was both a little bit funny and disturbing).

I liked the episode mostly because there was finally some female bonding. I also realized that, at least for me, Bernadette is a bit funnier than Amy. It was surprising to me also that Amy agreed so easily, and was so much into the idea of "only girls" evening. I didn't expect her to be interested into that kind of bonding, and I agree that it was so out of her character. I do hope they'll develop Bernadette's character more in future episodes, she could be a great girly/geeky combination :).

As for Sheldon, it was weird to see him steal, but I explained it as an extreme reaction to the irritating presence of his nemesis, Wil Wheaton. But it was funny and the situtation included the whole "geeky gang" :D

I liked the episode mostly because there was finally some female bonding. I also realized that, at least for me, Bernadette is a bit funnier than Amy. It was surprising to me also that Amy agreed so easily, and was so much into the idea of "only girls" evening. I didn't expect her to be interested into that kind of bonding, and I agree that it was so out of her character. I do hope they'll develop Bernadette's character more in future episodes, she could be a great girly/geeky combination :).

As for Sheldon, it was weird to see him steal, but I explained it as an extreme reaction to the irritating presence of his nemesis, Wil Wheaton. But it was funny and the situtation included the whole "geeky gang" :D

I did like the fact that it seems this was an episode that included everyone and each character had their moments. I like how Sheldon was pushing to get to the theater very early. That seemed like classic Sheldon.

I really like Bernadette (she is more my type of gal than Penny). I also hope we see more of her and they they develop her character further.

Can anybody explain why it is funny when Leonard said "Worst of all, he saw star trek: Nemesis." to Sheldon in complaining about that experience? Does he imply that the movie sucks, rendering his horrible waiting-in-line time totally wasted?

And what does "opening bachelor number 2" mean while you open up another wine bottle? (Penny did it and it is supposed to be funny, which I didn't get ...)

@tisep: yes, he is commenting on the quality (or lack of) of the film Nemesis.

Thanks!! Do you know what "open bachelor number two" mean when Penny said it while opening up a bottle of wine( maybe not wine, I am not sure). And people laughed at that sentence...

Penny is describing the bottles of wine as the only "men" in her life, so yeah bachelor number two, is the second bottle of wine she opens.

My cousin used to refer to a six pack of beer as his "babies" lolz

Yep. Cause it ended up happening. Leonard dates Priya. Penny want's him back. It's more than that though obviously. She doesnt just want him because she cant have him. It just took that to realize how much she did care for leonard.

• Like 1

Can I go all philosophical here any say, everything in life happens for a reason, even the mistakes?

Or would that be inappropriate on a sitcom forum. :p

• Like 1

Karma, destiny... call it what you like... I seriously believe in it too , Pomita.

It's a pity Luke Skywalker didn't. God knows Darth Vader told him often enough !!

Karma, destiny... call it what you like... I seriously believe in it too , Pomita.

Not unrelated to this.. I sometimes wonder what it must be like to be a television writer, and have omnipotent power over the 'destinies' of a set of characters who millions of people care about so much. Must be intimidating!

Stephen King mentioned in a doco once that he felt empowered by the fact that he could manipulate his character's destiny. He made particular reference to the character of Jack Torrance from his novel "The Shining".

Everyone one wants what they cannot have

There is a term for that and Sheldon mentioned it on one of the episodes but I forgot so I will say it's the neener, neener principle

I have to say that contrary to popular opinion I LOVED this episode. There was the female bonding, getting to know the new girls a little better; Penny being hit in the face during Amy's 'pillow fight'; the awkward truth or dare where Penny is forced to confront her feelings for Leonard; the first inkling of Amy's latent attraction for Penny (which is evident in future episodes); Sheldon's "I stated it thusly"; Wil Wheaton's Jar Jar Binks impressions and the classic line "why is there never a pontoon plane around when you need one?" The sight of the guys running with the whole cinema chasing them had me crying with laughter.

As for the stealing of the movie being out of character - I disagree - Sheldon justified his actions by stating that if he couldn't see it then nobody could. His inherent narcisism makes this seem entirely plausible to me, especially considering that it was ultimately Wil Wheaton being allowed access unfairly that led to the gang being denied access in the first place.

Anyhow, just my opinion, but this one is close to the top of my list of faves.

Yep. Cause it ended up happening. Leonard dates Priya. Penny want's him back. It's more than that though obviously. She doesnt just want him because she cant have him. It just took that to realize how much she did care for leonard.

Well it's only because Leonard moved on and got someone better and she couldn't have him and plus she was suppose to be the one that moved on and not him don't confuse that with love.

For someone as smart as Leonard he sure is dumb saying if penny understood Indiana jones they'd still be together because that's the reason they broke up, she knew him and the guys for a couple years before getting into a relationship with Leonard and new all about his nerdness and accepted it yet still got in a relationship so his hobbies and interests wasn't the reason they broke up or bothered her, it funny people saying that was out of character for amy making a move on penny when that was the start of her crush or infation or whatever it is that Amy feels about penny.

The Penny prank calling Sheldon was funny but wouldn't Sheldon have her number or bernadette's since penny gave her back her phone after the call?

another one of my favorite's from this season.

I like how the boys do their own thing- the movies,

while the girls do their thing- the slumber party.

the slumber party (well, Amy) was so funny.

"truth or dare: what is the circumference of your aerola's?" :D

VERY GOOD-IT SHOWED THAT PENNY

WANTS LEONARD MORE THAN FRIENDS,

IT IS THE FIRST TIME THAT SHE TOLD

ANY ONE. WHO WAS IT (THE TWO NEW

GIRL FRIENDS):icon_cheesygrin:

• Like 1