Cast dynamic

Destyre

Hi I'm new here, just registered because I wanted to discuss something about the cast interactions/story.

I don't know who else has noticed that the cast dynamic has changed ever since Penny and Leonard started dating (so from season 3 basically). Let me explain - since season 3 is it just me or do the "boys" seem to hate each other now? It's like they can't stand being around one another. Leonard seems to have some kind of attitude of "oh my god these guys are rediculous". I'm sure it's not intentional, but they all seem to be on different wave lengths now. Where is Howard's akward flirting? (I know that he has a girlfriend but that's kind of killed his personality a bit imo). Why is Raj so feminine all of a sudden? Sheldon and Penny seem to be as normal so that's good. Perhaps there are way too many people in it now, they don't seem to all interact with each other nearly as much as they used to.

Anyone else noticed that, or am I imagining it?

No, I wouldn't say you're imagining anything. I've noticed it too. There's not nearly enough scenes with all the boys together being boys - okay, being nerds!

I think (or hope) what the writers are doing is trying to show how all relationships change and develop and sometimes revert back to what is familiar. Hopefully, things will get back to basics by the end of the fourth season, 'cause I seriously miss Leonard as the Woobie and Howard as the creepy pervert! =/

However, I do think there is some hope for more boy-nerd time, as seen by the last episode. And the fourth season seems to have slightly less Sheldon-centric scenes. And while I love Sheldon, I really do miss having all four together: it's those scenes that make each character shine.

Oh, and bring back Leslie!

-

Incidentally, welcome to the forums, Destyre. ^^

Ah good, so it's not just me then! Yeah they do seem to be spread thin dont they? They need more adventures together. That indiana jones bit a couple of episodes ago was great, but moments like that are few and far between now. Leonard needs to get his geek on again, and they should save the girls (except penny ofc) for episodes now and again, not have them on every episode as focal points in the stories. Nice as Bernadette and Amy are, they shouldn't be centric to the story. How Leslie used to fit in regarding her screen time was perfect... so just like that. It's all very well having extra cast members joining but not when it weakens the main cast.

Another obvious solution to people fighting over air time is to make Episodes 1 hour long :D

They haven't picked up that X-box for ages. Time to dust it off me thinks and play some Halo together!

Just my tuppence anyway.

And thank you for the welcome Incognito!

And thank you for the welcome Incognito!

You're welcome, Destyre. Call me Lia. ^_^

Leonard needs to get his geek on again' date=' and they should save the girls (except penny ofc) for episodes now and again, not have them on every episode as focal points in the stories. Nice as Bernadette and Amy are, they shouldn't be centric to the story.[/quote']

Exactly. I miss seeing all four of the guys together - and I am not fond of the snarky Leonard who thinks he's above the other nerds. u_u I miss geeky, Woobie Leonard. =/

But I am enjoying Bernadette too :)

I am beginning to think that I'm the only one not in love with Bernadette. =/ She's cute and sweet but...I dunno. I think I like Howard as the single perv who occasionally shags Leslie. ^_~

Exactly. I miss seeing all four of the guys together - and I am not fond of the snarky Leonard who thinks he's above the other nerds. u_u I miss geeky, Woobie Leonard. =/

Yeah he does seem snarky, you're right. I miss the old, shy Leonard. Not saying they should make him like that again, but actually enjoying his friends company instead of looking like he hates them would be nice. I Get the feeling that anytime Raj opens his mouth, Leonard or Howard is going to tell him how rediculous he is. I don't find that funny personally even though the audience laughs. I only find it funny when Sheldon does that :icon_lol:

But I am enjoying Bernadette too :)

I am beginning to think that I'm the only one not in love with Bernadette. =/ She's cute and sweet but...I dunno. I think I like Howard as the single perv who occasionally shags Leslie. ^_~

As it's a sitcom, I personally don't find Bernadette fits well as she's not funny in any way that I can see. She sometimes makes an amusingly niave comment, but overall not very funny at all. I don't have a problem with her, but like you I prefer Howard as a single perv. ;) I miss his blatant inuendos and his whole self image as a suave love machine :icon_lol:

I don't have a problem with her, but like you I prefer Howard as a single perv. ;) I miss his blatant innuendos and his whole self image as a suave love machine :icon_lol:

I know! He's so smooth: "It's hot in here. It must be 'Summer'." ;)

Yeah I miss that! Now it's just this whole thing with his mother, and no sleaze. GIVE ME HOWARD SLEAZE! :icon_lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, its a GOOD thing that the dynamic has changed. It should evolve and the writers are allowing it to.

So many situations they hit bang on! Written exactly how I would have. Leonard's return and the greeting he got from Penny. "Perfect". Even before seeing it, my first thought was, "No words, just a kiss" is all we need and that is exactly what we got!

Penny being "tricked" into dumping Leonard by Will Weaton (brilliantly done, I might add) is something I can't help but expect there will be a reckoning for in the future. Perhaps there is a long term story arc of rekindled romance on the horizon for Leonard and Penny, similar to the Ross / Rachel arc on "Friends". Granted now Friends may be a groaning example, but at the time the, writers had the fans going crazy rooting for the couple who just couldn't get their collective crap together. The writers played with timings, new love interests to "delay" the two. Dramatically it WORKED and I wonder if a similar genius is at work here.

I keep expecting to see Sheldon's twin sister return and take an interest in Leonard, sparking jealousy in Penny that starts a slow evolution between the two. Having Missy return to torment Sheldon some more (even for just a season), would only add to the fun.

Penny sees herself as an intellectually inferior to Leonard, however she is his "empathetic superior". She is far more compassionate than Leonard, who apparently shows his greatest compassion toward Penny and her interests, even after they've broken up. Now you take this dynamic and see if it can become a compatibility bridge between the two. Differences are what make relationships interesting, NOT similarities. You have a very passive Leonard who needs to grow some back bone with women and a somewhat shallow Penny who needs to learn her own worth and strengths. Both have to "grow" out of their respective boxes to appreciate and accept what each bring to the table.

I am hopeful the writers take their time pairing up the two. Much like the two season build up of the relationship the first time, any new rekindling should be given similar obstacles and time to re-build. I would like to see Penny's greatest fears materialize in the form of a competing suitor for Leonard's affections. Ideally that would be Missy, Sheldon's sibling nemesis... I would like to see Missy "teach" Leonard to stand up for himself, while Penny "learns" to abandon her shallow emotions by becoming "the Leonard" for a while. The smitten optimistic neighbor watching someone she can't have. Not becoming a "nerd" so to speak, but being denied what she has always taken for granted and thus appreciating the sacrifice that is required.

The thing about Missy however is she won't have the same compassion that Penny possesses and that is what Leonard will notice is missing. The idea that at some you point have to choose between being "mostly happy" and settling or being "completely happy" and getting who you really want. A converging of themes and lessons both Penny and Leonard must come to learn for themselves.

The whole Sheldon / Amy thing, I can 't see lasting much longer. It's interesting to see a female version of Sheldon, but I am not sure if it's the performance or the overload of his character type, but I am finding it becoming rather dull and somewhat cliche'd.

If anything, Sheldon needs a pairing with a character like Leslie Winkle. Someone to drive him crazy, but smart enough to keep up with him. Amy is far too bland and albeit a clever carbon copy of the Sheldon character, but she lacks the idiosyncratic performances like Jim Parsons provides for Sheldon that truly carry it off.

Now for Sheldon to become sexually attracted to Leslie Winkle would be laughter fodder for sure. He can't stand her, yet is physically drawn to her and ultimately emotionally. Leslie is the emotional opposite to Sheldon. She is a sexual being and emotionally detached, yet fully aware of that fact. Sheldon is non-sexual and emotionally childish, but is in denial of his emotions. Winkle has many of the dominant traits of Sheldon's mother and is very much as pushy as Sheldon is. When you put two assertive opposite personalities in a relationship, sparks are going to fly.

Cast dynamics changing isn't a bad thing on it's own, I agree, but I just don't like how its going now. The show seems much more cliche and diluted than it once was. Everyone hating each other (or seeming to) kind of ruins things, and Leonard especially is acting like a judgemental and manipulative douche ever since the 3rd season. I don't have a problem with people developing into more complex characters but when Leonard gets the woman of his dreams and then starts acting all superior to the other guys, its just disappointing.

Cast dynamics changing isn't a bad thing on it's own, I agree, but I just don't like how its going now. The show seems much more cliche and diluted than it once was. Everyone hating each other (or seeming to) kind of ruins things, and Leonard especially is acting like a judgemental and manipulative douche ever since the 3rd season. I don't have a problem with people developing into more complex characters but when Leonard gets the woman of his dreams and then starts acting all superior to the other guys, its just disappointing.

True. However, it follows their competitive natures. Notice how Howard has the same superior attitude toward Raj AND Leonard now that he's seeing someone. I'd expect Raj to display the same behavior should the writers give him a girlfriend.

Though the writers do need to tread a careful line between dramatic conflict and the appearance of bitterness. You could see the bitterness between Kaley and Johnny in their interactions after their romantic break up. They may be talented but things slipped out from time to time. Even now Kaley doesn't "see" the two characters getting together and I'd suspect that is more a personal preference rather than a professional one.

True. However, it follows their competitive natures. Notice how Howard has the same superior attitude toward Raj AND Leonard now that he's seeing someone. I'd expect Raj to display the same behavior should the writers give him a girlfriend.

Though the writers do need to tread a careful line between dramatic conflict and the appearance of bitterness. You could see the bitterness between Kaley and Johnny in their interactions after their romantic break up. They may be talented but things slipped out from time to time. Even now Kaley doesn't "see" the two characters getting together and I'd suspect that is more a personal preference rather than a professional one.

Well remember that Kaley and Johnny dated on screen aswell as off screen so any bitterness that you may see can be easily explained to the storyline, so it works. I, however, didn't notice anything. Like I said, everyone seems to hate everyone at the moment in that show. Competitive... hmm, I don't know about that. One could lean towards that conclusion of course, but I seriously doubt that it's intentional. Instead of rolling with the bizarre things that Raj may imagine like they used to, for example, the characters are reacting how the "average Joe" may react to a random guy saying that in a bar saying it, not someone who they hang out with all the time and have known for 7-8 years (?). Get what I mean? I'm bad at explaining things... just everyone seems to be on a high horse at the moment, whereas before they were a tight-knit group, now the comradery seems to have leaked away, like at any moment they are going to fly into a rage and start killing each other. It could be off screen tension showing through their acting but I'm not going to suggest that they are unprofessional. I believe that they have just forgotten what made the show so great to begin with, and are now just making stories around Clichés and cheap jokes (like that scene that seemed to go on forever where Amy and Sheldon bat the word "who" back and forth while in her lab - not funny at all!).

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the recent depiction of friction between the friends because some of them have got into relationships - the ensuing jealousies and inevitable lack of time for the group - is rather natural, and it's what might happen in real life. I would not like this aspect to take over the show, but up till now (more in the fourth season than the third) I think they've managed a fair balance of 'relationship' storylines, group-dynamics episodes (21-second Excitation, Justice League) and Sheldon-centric episodes.

I think that the recent depiction of friction between the friends because some of them have got into relationships - the ensuing jealousies and inevitable lack of time for the group - is rather natural, and it's what might happen in real life. I would not like this aspect to take over the show, but up till now (more in the fourth season than the third) I think they've managed a fair balance of 'relationship' storylines, group-dynamics episodes (21-second Excitation, Justice League) and Sheldon-centric episodes.

Thing is, I'm not so sure that it's intentional. Howard for example, seems to have completely lost his personality. Relationships and Shepisodes (see what I did there? :p) aside, lately the guys seem to be rather tetchy with each other. The most recent episodes, however (Justice league recombination etc) have redeemed it somewhat. The sort of friendships that geeky guys have tend to have are with only select few of like-minded people and as a result are very, very strong; believe me I know this first hand :D

Thing is, I'm not so sure that it's intentional. Howard for example, seems to have completely lost his personality. Relationships and Shepisodes (see what I did there? :p) aside, lately the guys seem to be rather tetchy with each other. The most recent episodes, however (Justice league recombination etc) have redeemed it somewhat. The sort of friendships that geeky guys have tend to have are with only select few of like-minded people and as a result are very, very strong; believe me I know this first hand :D

Well, Howard was always meant to be a rather desperate womanizer, but he's not supposed to be a cheat, so I don't really see how else they could play him when he has a steady girlfriend (apart from the occasional sleazy 'No-one will be looking at her hair' to Penny :p ).

As far as the friendships go, Raj and Howard still seem to have a strong bond, modulo the teasing. Leonard seems jaded with everyone lately, which, as you say, doesn't seem intentional, and it takes away from the show - I loved the pleasantness of his character. Sheldon is, as always, Sheldon. And yes, 'Justice League' brought back a lot of the magic, for me - not that it ever completely went.

Believe me, I know it first hand too. :)

Well, Howard was always meant to be a rather desperate womanizer, but he's not supposed to be a cheat, so I don't really see how else they could play him when he has a steady girlfriend (apart from the occasional sleazy 'No-one will be looking at her hair' to Penny :p ).

As far as the friendships go, Raj and Howard still seem to have a strong bond, modulo the teasing. Leonard seems jaded with everyone lately, which, as you say, doesn't seem intentional, and it takes away from the show - I loved the pleasantness of his character. Sheldon is, as always, Sheldon. And yes, 'Justice League' brought back a lot of the magic, for me - not that it ever completely went.

Believe me, I know it first hand too. :)

Yeah pretty much hit the nail on the head there with Leonard, he is jaded at the moment... although less frequently in recent episodes. The magic never completely went, I agree there too, but I just have seen it slipping away gradually.

This season Sheldon has often acted like a pompous, arrogant, obnoxious and demeaning person to everyone this season. To me every episode this season that the Sheldon character has been the dominate character have not been good at all. The Boyfriend Complexity, The Justice League Recombination and The Love Car Displacement have been the best episodes this season. In the Bus Pants episode Sheldon was totally unlikeable. In The Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification episode I had the same reactions that H/L/P/S had with the Sheldon character and that was get out of here. When the writers have Sheldon acting way over the top he is not enjoyable to watch.

This season Sheldon has often acted like a pompous, arrogant, obnoxious and demeaning person to everyone this season. To me every episode this season that the Sheldon character has been the dominate character have not been good at all. The Boyfriend Complexity, The Justice League Recombination and The Love Car Displacement have been the best episodes this season. In the Bus Pants episode Sheldon was totally unlikeable. In The Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification episode I had the same reactions that H/L/P/S had with the Sheldon character and that was get out of here. When the writers have Sheldon acting way over the top he is not enjoyable to watch.

Yes, I agree that it was refreshing to see a somewhat gentler and less overbearing Sheldon in the Love Car episode.. it brought back some of his original lovable vulnerability. I certainly hope that the writers are doing their research (in re audience responses), and work to keep it this way more often.

• 3 weeks later...

It's almost as though the 'bang' in "The big bang theory", has taken on a different meaning.

We first meet Sheldon and Leonard moments prior to getting lucky with a cup.

We meet Howard the hard-on and Raj the recluse.

The point is, none of them are getting any action, and for good reason.

Now days, even Sheldon would be getting laid.

Leonard is getting more action than a frat bro.

Howard has a hottie (although very psychotic) in Bernadette.

Only Raj has remained pretty much the same, although if not for Howard, would have scored with Summer in the Terminator Decoupling episode.

it has become friends.

Hi I'm new here, just registered because I wanted to discuss something about the cast interactions/story.

I don't know who else has noticed that the cast dynamic has changed ever since Penny and Leonard started dating (so from season 3 basically). Let me explain - since season 3 is it just me or do the "boys" seem to hate each other now? It's like they can't stand being around one another. Leonard seems to have some kind of attitude of "oh my god these guys are rediculous". I'm sure it's not intentional, but they all seem to be on different wave lengths now. Where is Howard's akward flirting? (I know that he has a girlfriend but that's kind of killed his personality a bit imo). Why is Raj so feminine all of a sudden? Sheldon and Penny seem to be as normal so that's good. Perhaps there are way too many people in it now, they don't seem to all interact with each other nearly as much as they used to.

Anyone else noticed that, or am I imagining it?

I think the changes were expected in each of the characters. With the exception of Sheldon, the other characters were subject to change, especially that from the beginning Leonard showed more interest in being socially integrated and the arrival of Penny woke up to the building further that interest.

I do not think the group again be the same beginnings, each character has had to grow socially and as the series progresses each must go looking for his roll in life and their own identity. Same happens to everyone in real life. As the years change our habits and relationships with friends in different CIRCUMSTANCES (either work, girlfriends, etc).

Consider it important to add that the series shows a lot of values and messages in each chapter and Leonard has always been the leader to act to different situations. Do not know if that was the purpose of the creators of the series but it is notable that each time that I was in a difficult situation, Leonard is the first mover or first call. I think that's a great message of friendship and fellowship. They have also been very positive message as when Leonard and Sheldon advises Penny when they were the first date, even if it did more than using a physical-mathematical theory that an interest into a sentimental or social situation.

In short, it is logical to have a change in the characters because each one will grow socially and did not look bad. In contrast is positive.

The ratio of Leonard and Penny will remain with ups and downs as well as compare your relationship with Ross and Rachel in the sitcom Friends but probably until Leonard will overcome your problem with women and no longer waiting for adoption in their performances, led the relationship with her mother.

Sheldon will remain the same or less social growth because their actions or lack of knowledge of human or social relationships that can create funny situations, especially with Penny and Leonard.

Penny is fine. His empathy, friendship and love is the perfect complement to the group. Maybe the change is less liberal to not look like a slut in his relationships.

I think the changes were expected in each of the characters. With the exception of Sheldon, the other characters were subject to change, especially that from the beginning Leonard showed more interest in being socially integrated and the arrival of Penny woke up to the building further that interest.

I do not think the group again be the same beginnings, each character has had to grow socially and as the series progresses each must go looking for his roll in life and their own identity. Same happens to everyone in real life. As the years change our habits and relationships with friends for various reasons (either work, girlfriends, etc).

Consider it important to add that the series shows a lot of values and messages in each chapter and Leonard has always been the leader to act to different situations. Do not know if that was the purpose of the creators of the series but it is notable that each time that I was in a difficult situation, Leonard is the first mover or first call. I think that's a great message of friendship and fellowship. They have also been very positive message as when Leonard and Sheldon advises Penny when they were the first date, even if it did more than using a physical-mathematical theory that an interest into a sentimental or social situation.

In short, it is logical to have a change in the characters because each one will grow socially and did not look bad. In contrast is positive.

The ratio of Leonard and Penny will remain with ups and downs as well as compare your relationship with Ross and Rachel in the sitcom Friends but probably until Leonard will overcome your problem with women and no longer waiting for adoption in their performances, led the relationship with her mother.

Sheldon will remain the same or less social growth because their actions or lack of knowledge of human or social relationships that can create funny situations, especially with Penny and Leonard.

Penny is fine. His empathy, friendship and love is the perfect complement to the group. Maybe the change is less liberal to not look like a slut in his relationships.

Someone in a previous post mentioned something about Sheldon's sister returning and taking and interest in Leonard. Oh please! Every hot girl that appears in the show likes Leonard. Why? Is it funny? NOT.

Leonard was never likable to me and to feature him so often in non-funny romantic situations is very boring.

Sheldon and Howard are the only real funny characters and Penny is at her best during her interactions with them. If you water down the Sheldon and Howard characters like they're doing this season the show loses a lot of it's "funniness" and quality.

Forcing Leonard on us as the main character of interest is a huge mistake by the writers, and I'm sure that will become evident soon in the ratings.

I feel the show works best when none of the characters are pitched as the main character of interest.. the overall group dynamics is what is so pleasant to watch, because this cast has a great chemistry together. Amy and Bernadette are also turning out to be worthy additions.

Someone in a previous post mentioned something about Sheldon's sister returning and taking and interest in Leonard. Oh please! Every hot girl that appears in the show likes Leonard. Why? Is it funny? NOT.

Leonard was never likable to me and to feature him so often in non-funny romantic situations is very boring.

Sheldon and Howard are the only real funny characters and Penny is at her best during her interactions with them. If you water down the Sheldon and Howard characters like they're doing this season the show loses a lot of it's "funniness" and quality.

Forcing Leonard on us as the main character of interest is a huge mistake by the writers, and I'm sure that will become evident soon in the ratings.

I don't think that the writers are forcing Leonard on us as a main character especially this season. There have been a number of episodes where Leonard didn't get a whole lot of dialogue. Leonard is at his best when he is paired with Sheldon or Penny and especially with Sheldon and Penny.

Sheldon is another story. Yes, he is the most popular character of the show but some of these episodes in Season 4 where the writers have forced his character on us with just ridiculous storylines have not been funny. Too much Sheldon is a bad thing. Sheldon works best when he feeds of the other characters.

I miss just-the-boys-&-penny episodes too.. There's too much Bernadette, Priya, Amy & everyone else...

And I hate how Leonard got so annoying... And how the boys never seem to have their traditional Monday / Tuesday / Friday etc. nights anymore...

I hope things go back to normal soon :icon_eek: