The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cityboy

Is Sheldon going too far?

Don't get me wrong, I love the show. I own the first 3 seasons. But I find Sheldon becoming more & more annoying. I just watched the Bus Pants one & about 10 times I wanted to smack him across the head.

OK, you expect him to act like that a bit, but he just wouldn't stop.

His character just seems to be getting worse and if the writers don't change that soon I think a lot people will just get turned off.

i think the fame is getting onto jim parsons head...

What I mean is that as the show gets more popular, the actors get so too. And some actors cannot handle popularity, but get a bit egoistic about it. Which in turn affects the way they act in their show.

look at season one for parsons: he acts humbly, as a part of the group. But as we turn into season three, we will note that his act has become very self centered, self concious and rather affected. he is now a big diva, to put it bluntly.

Luckily the other members have not taken into the fame as strongly. Raj and howard love it, of course, but they have not become egoistic about it.

As an afterthought, it may be jim parsons is begging the writers to give him more and more lines and screen time, which in turn might explain why he gets so much screen time for his rants. For all I know, he might write those rants himself!:icon_twisted:

I don't think it has anything to do with Jim Parsons. The writers write the script not the actors. The sheldon character by far is the most popular character on the show(My favorite characters are Leonard and Penny). With Sheldon being so popular and Jim Parsons winning acting awards, the writers seem to want to put him in the forefront of the show. Sheldon has always been self centered and oppionated, just watch the pilot when Sheldon makes insulting remarks about Leonard's physics work on his white board. With him being the focus now we just get to see more of it. Jim Parsons is just acting the way that the writers, directors and producers want him to.

For the record I am not a fan of Sheldon being the constant focus of the show. I wish they would use the Leonard character more often.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show. I own the first 3 seasons. But I find Sheldon becoming more & more annoying. I just watched the Bus Pants one & about 10 times I wanted to smack him across the head.

OK, you expect him to act like that a bit, but he just wouldn't stop.

His character just seems to be getting worse and if the writers don't change that soon I think a lot people will just get turned off.

I agree, I watched the show and was annoyed with him most of the ep, now I can't watch it again because I know how damned annoying he was in it!!

I don't think it has anything to do with Jim Parsons. The writers write the script not the actors. The sheldon character by far is the most popular character on the show(My favorite characters are Leonard and Penny). With Sheldon being so popular and Jim Parsons winning acting awards, the writers seem to want to put him in the forefront of the show. Sheldon has always been self centered and oppionated, just watch the pilot when Sheldon makes insulting remarks about Leonard's physics work on his white board. With him being the focus now we just get to see more of it. Jim Parsons is just acting the way that the writers, directors and producers want him to.

For the record I am not a fan of Sheldon being the constant focus of the show. I wish they would use the Leonard character more often.

I agree. It's not Jim Parsons fault that he is annoying, it's the script writers that make Sheldon that way. It's how they want him to be.

I think the major problem here is that the writers seem to have hard time coming up with funny episodes which does not involve Sheldon being arrogant and annoying. Look at the episode guides for first few episodes of the forth season. They are all about Sheldon doing something abnormal and the other guys dealing with it. So far, there are only two or three episodes that does not include Sheldon's name in the episode guide.

I do really love Sheldon, but I dont think the writers are handling his character effectively. The show needs to be focused less on Sheldon and more on the group. Also, it would be great for the show and the characters if there could be an understandable(and acceptable) change in Sheldon's characteristic. Just a little change will reduce Sheldon's drawbacks and make the character even more attractive.

I agree completely. Sheldon is Sheldon, and he is supposed to act that way. But I also believe the show should focus more on others and the group as a whole, because then balance would be present and the show would be just like in the beginning.

Strangely, I found 'Bus Pants Utilization' to be a rather Season 1/2-ish episode, and the Sheldon here is not that different from, say, 'Pancake Batter Anomaly' or 'Jerusalem Duality', where he completely got on everyone's nerves. This one wasn't a very well-written episode, but it definitely had a nostalgic feel for me, as opposed to the more recent episodes which focused more on Sheldon's dynamics with Amy (and in which Sheldon certainly wasn't annoying).

I'd say they're keeping a good mix, so far in this season, of both kinds of storylines. And I completely agree that Jim Parsons doesn't have a hand in what the writers make Sheldon say or do - he has gone on record to say that. As far as one can tell, Jim comes across as a level-headed, unassuming person, who certainly wouldn't try to manipulate scripts to have more of his character or something.

My boyfriend allso really hates how Sheldon has "become" on the last seasons, and i find myself defending him all the time, saying "Thats just how he is!" or "He cant help it", but yeah, i do think it would be a turn off for many people, and therefore i think they should turn it down a little, but not not totally.

It seems the writers aren't successfully balancing Sheldon's character this season, and he does lean towards being unlike-able at times. The same thing is happening with the other characters as well this season.

I do like Sheldon's character but i do have to agree, he needs to be a little more balanced. He is better/smarter than everyone 100% of the time now. I liked when he actually dealt with Leonard as a fellow genius and friend rather than always down on him like he was sub-human.