The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
doubtingtom

Canned

Typically, I don't watch sitcoms. The last one I remember watching was Seinfeld during its NBC run, however the combination of The Big Bang Theory's premise and cast pulled me in to the premiere. I watched for less than five minutes. It wasn't the characters or writing that turned me off, it was the laugh track. A look at the demographic of viewers of the show would probably reveal a more knowledgeable base for the show than the kind drawn by a typical sitcom. As such, I'd like to think that the audience wouldn't need to be reminded how funny a situation or joke might be. So with any luck, a member of the show's production team might scan this forum, and possibly omit the canned laughter from future dvd collections (or barring that, make removing it an option) because I'd love to give this show another try.

We've read some comments about the laugh track, I can't say I've noticed the laugh track too often ... The second episode seemed to have toned it down a little, but its existance perhaps will annoy some. I don't think the show would work without it, there is a rythm that a laugh track brings, shows without it need a different rythm. I like Scrubs and Malcolm in the Middle and think they'd be messed up with a laugh track, I think this show would be odd without it.

People just have to stop complaining about the laugh track. First of all, it is not a laugh track. It is the actual audience laughing. Secondly, every CBS sitcom is filmed before a live audience and has laughter. They all have it, and that is the way CBS does their sitcoms.

I think the sitcom which really needs to work on the laugh track is How I Met Your Mother - the show seems like it isn't sure whether it should be a single-camera or multi-camera show, the laugh track seems out of place.

I pretty much usually ignore the laugh tracks of shows. I do realize that they can become obtrusive. I also understand that some people can't just ignore them. I just try to pay attention to the show itself, and decide where I want to laugh. Usually it's not where they place the canned laughter. I know that when I watch the DvDs I have from MASH, I turn off the laugh track. It's a shame we don't have that option on live TV.

I think the sitcom which really needs to work on the laugh track is How I Met Your Mother - the show seems like it isn't sure whether it should be a single-camera or multi-camera show, the laugh track seems out of place.

I think what really bugs me is not the audience laughing at a joke but when they laugh at nothing. I know Married with Children, Happy Days, all did the extremely annoying laugh when a character appears (Al, Fonzie) ... Other shows, if a character is just sat down and the scene just opened, still a laugh for some reason ...

I don't think the laughing harms the show at all. In some situations it may be unnecessary, but it does keep a nice flow to the show. Comedy sitcoms are very much about timing and I think this shows pulls it off great. Oftentimes laughter by an audience can make the joke "funnier" or shake a laugh out of you just because others are doing it.

I think what really bugs me is not the audience laughing at a joke but when they laugh at nothing.

I know Married with Children, Happy Days, all did the extremely annoying laugh when a character appears (Al, Fonzie) ...

Other shows, if a character is just sat down and the scene just opened, still a laugh for some reason ...

I totally agree. I cringe when laughs happen for no reason, its almost as if the audience was high or being paid. I look at the screen and wonder what the heck are they laughing at? :icon_rolleyes:

Typically, I don't watch sitcoms. The last one I remember watching was Seinfeld during its NBC run, however the combination of The Big Bang Theory's premise and cast pulled me in to the premiere.

I watched for less than five minutes.

It wasn't the characters or writing that turned me off, it was the laugh track. A look at the demographic of viewers of the show would probably reveal a more knowledgeable base for the show than the kind drawn by a typical sitcom. As such, I'd like to think that the audience wouldn't need to be reminded how funny a situation or joke might be. So with any luck, a member of the show's production team might scan this forum, and possibly omit the canned laughter from future dvd collections (or barring that, make removing it an option) because I'd love to give this show another try.

I was lucky enough to be in Las Vegas and was asked to particpate in the Television City survey of this show. I really liked it but like you did not think the laugh track was appropriate or needed. If I remember correctly that was the only negative comment I wrote down as the story, characters, etc was in my judegement outstanding.