The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ivana

Parallel Universes

I was just thinking yesterday - under the influence of Sheldon's character, of course - what my other selves are doing in their respective universes, better to say, which paths did they choose in their lives.

But I have a question for other physicists here, since I'm not one and cannot fully grasp the question of those parallel universes - how come I can exist in other universes, since my mother and father probably chose different partners in those universes? And if they chose different partners, they I could have not been born, right?

parallel univeses stem from very big egos!

i mean there are people who think that when we make a decision between two routes in our lives, the universe splits in two. in one universe, we start going one way, in the other, we have chosen the other route.

with me so far? Good.

Problem is this: how can our choises create wholly new universes in a blink of an eye??? A complete universes? With galaxies and whatnots!

also, people make decisions all the time, and there are billions of people here, so in fact there should then be born millions of new universes every single day...

That is not logical. It is just egoistic.

We people are like dust motes upon this huge planet. We are nothing, in the universal scale of things. So, it is very unlikely that our thoughts, hopes and desires could in any way affect the universe. We may affect this planet, yes, but there is no way in heck that our choises could give births to whole new universes.

class dismissed

parallel univeses stem from very big egos!

i mean there are people who think that when we make a decision between two routes in our lives, the universe splits in two. in one universe, we start going one way, in the other, we have chosen the other route.

with me so far? Good.

Problem is this: how can our choises create wholly new universes in a blink of an eye??? A complete universes? With galaxies and whatnots!

also, people make decisions all the time, and there are billions of people here, so in fact there should then be born millions of new universes every single day...

That is not logical. It is just egoistic.

We people are like dust motes upon this huge planet. We are nothing, in the universal scale of things. So, it is very unlikely that our thoughts, hopes and desires could in any way affect the universe. We may affect this planet, yes, but there is no way in heck that our choises could give births to whole new universes.

class dismissed

i disagree, our choices can easily create different universes. if i chose to drive off a cliff and end in a fiery death, the universe in which i live would cease to exist upon my death, so i choose not to and my universe continues to exist, ergo i can choose. however, if i choose to drive into another car and kill the passengers and i survive, i would end up in prison, so my universe would change.. technically i would be in the same universe but one governed by a different set of rules, prison rules.. by acting on our thoughts we can dramatically change the course of our lives and by doing that we change our universe.

I was just thinking yesterday - under the influence of Sheldon's character, of course - what my other selves are doing in their respective universes, better to say, which paths did they choose in their lives.

But I have a question for other physicists here, since I'm not one and cannot fully grasp the question of those parallel universes - how come I can exist in other universes, since my mother and father probably chose different partners in those universes? And if they chose different partners, they I could have not been born, right?

I am an aspiring theoretical physicist, so i do not know if that counts in your perspective, but no. In a parallel universe, history is paralleled in other words emulated in another way but fundamentals remain similar. Such as carnal relationships. So in a parallel universe, your life path may be different but your relationships and state of mind would be relatively similar.

That's more of an alternate universe than a parallel one (RE: existing in another world with different parents). Parallel universes have fundamental changes (as S'chn T'gai stated); however, I do believe that relationships can be altered, depending on certain events culminating in your parallel past. Your character or state of mind, however, would remain intact (for the most part).

Just think of Star Trek 2009: the parallel crew's personalities remained similar to their personalities in the original series; however, certain events caused shifts in career paths, relationships, etc.

Star Trek reference FTW!

That's more of an alternate universe than a parallel one (RE: existing in another world with different parents). Parallel universes have fundamental changes (as S'chn T'gai stated); however, I do believe that relationships can be altered, depending on certain events culminating in your parallel past. Your character or state of mind, however, would remain intact (for the most part).

Just think of Star Trek 2009: the parallel crew's personalities remained similar to their personalities in the original series; however, certain events caused shifts in career paths, relationships, etc.

Star Trek reference FTW!

Ok, so it is possible that my other selves live a (more cooler) life (than me) in their respective parallel universes :icon_cheesygrin:! And you're saying that there's a theory on an alternate universe, in which we actually do not exist (and probably our parents either)? Or I understood that wrong?

In trying to tie qunatam mechanics with the Newtonian physics of the physical universe string theory sumises that there would have to be parrallel universes in existence.

But these universes would have been round since the creation of our own universe. So in one universe it is possible that dinosaurs didn't die out or that the earth didn't form life at all.

But it is unlikely that their would be universes that would be determined by whether or not you chose the chicken or the fish.

In philosophy parallel worlds of this kind (possible worlds) are just theoretical construction useful in analysing the notions of necessity and possibility. If we take it that Sheldon referred to this concept when refusing to dance with Penny, by stating that he doesn't dance in any of the possible worlds he implied that it's necessary that he doesn't dance (which is not the same thing as saying that he doesn't how to), because, in modal logic, if sth is true in every possible world, it is necessary. This would make Sheldon's not-dancing a universal law :icon_lol:

Philosophically speaking, Sheldon seems to believe in the positive answer to the problem of interworld identity, because according to him it makes sense to speak about many Sheldons in many worlds. What is more, he is able to point out the essential features of Sheldon (the ones without which he wouldn't be Sheldon by sb/sth else), not-dancing being among them.

However, I am not certain if all this is analogical in physics.

parallel or alternate universes just means one in the same

theres unlimited possibilities

relationships and the minds would probably similar

just different outcomes

i guess deja vu is a good one

each of ourselves are in sync somehow just rarely do we noticed it

it's probably when deja vu you noticed it like how this seem so familiar

chances are your other self is doing the same thing

lets say you went to a cafe, you're undecided with coffee or tea

you pick coffee, the other you picks tea

i don't believe anything drastic would create a whole new live

unless we are talking about the doppelganger, which mean total opposite

In MY parallel universe one of me is levelling my dual blader in Maplestory.

In MY reality I am sitting here at work bored crapless waiting for 7am to roll around so I can get home and start levelling my dual blader in Maplestory.

also i rewatched that episode about dancing

he just stated that basically in that moment when Penny asked him to dance...he just said none of him are dancing